7mm at 2167 yards

GREAT TO KNOW.....that you FINALLY got the message!!lightbulb:rolleyes: Conversation?? Rather....how about bragging about an ACCIDENTAL HIT!!

Okay Sharp, pat yourself on the back for hitting a 12'x12' target at a mile w/ open sights. If I recall there were a lot of misses compared to hits. Oh, and he called a hit in 5 shots at what looks to be like an 18"x 18" target at 2167. Something tells me, he knew he was going to hit.

Tank

Last edited:
Okay Sharp, pat yourself on the back for hitting a 12'x12' target at a mile w/ open sights. If I recall there were a lot of misses compared to hits. Oh, and he called a hit in 5 shots at what looks to be like an 18"x 18" target at 2167. Something tells me, he knew he was going to hit.

Tank

Tank

"pat yourself on the back for hitting a 12'x12' target at a mile w/ open sights"

Don't have a friggin clue.....about what you're speaking to!! I haven't been to a MILE SHOOT!! But if I were going to make one.....I'd **** certain use something that would shoot a stable bullet!!lightbulb

Tank

"pat yourself on the back for hitting a 12'x12' target at a mile w/ open sights"

Don't have a friggin clue.....about what you're speaking to!! I haven't been to a MILE SHOOT!! But if I were going to make one.....I'd **** certain use something that would shoot a stable bullet!!lightbulb

Weren't you the one commenting on the patch/lead bullets shooting from sharps and the like rifles at 1000+? If not, I apologize, but still he called a hit on an 18" piece of steel at 2167yrd at 5 shots.

Tank

Weren't you the one commenting on the patch/lead bullets shooting from sharps and the like rifles at 1000+? If not, I apologize, but still he called a hit on an 18" piece of steel at 2167yrd at 5 shots.

Tank

Dear Tank

'Commenting' on something.....and DOING SOMETHING are two different things! But as to your question....yes....I, as well as many other shooters use paper patch cartridges to shoot to 1000 yds. as that distance is a match called the CREEDMOOR! There are guys that shoot to 1 mile with their rifles up in Wyoming....some shooting PP and the target isn't 12'x12'....rather a round bullseye of 48"...and yes...they have misses but it's not because they're shooting UNSTABLE BULLETS! The entire essence of my posting reference this subject has been "why shoot at a distance beyond where your bullet will remain stable?" If a hit is gained....it's nothing but a frickin ACCIDENT!!

For the record....I'm done with this subject!!

If a hit is gained....it's nothing but a frickin ACCIDENT!!

He still called it, that sounds like confidence in his equipment to me!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the convo though. I thought you were the one and hope this convo doesn't tarnish our relationship online. I would still like to learn how to load and shoot patch, ball cartridge.

Respectfully,
Tank

He still called it, that sounds like confidence in his equipment to me!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the convo though. I thought you were the one and hope this convo doesn't tarnish our relationship online. I would still like to learn how to load and shoot patch, ball cartridge.

Respectfully,
Tank

Tank

No tarnish at all!! I don't carry my feelings on the cuff of my shirt!! If that young man elects to get a rifle/caliber that's adequate for shooting at the published distance and he can get hits...I'd be the first to give him a handshake! The game of LR Precision Shooting is about using the right equipment for the job at hand! IMO....accidents don't count!!

Unstable or not, accident or called, I still appreciate you posting
I find other peoples long range shooting outings interesting especially
with some pics, a good story and pushing your equipment to its limits.
Thanks for sharing.

Dear Tank

'Commenting' on something.....and DOING SOMETHING are two different things! But as to your question....yes....I, as well as many other shooters use paper patch cartridges to shoot to 1000 yds. as that distance is a match called the CREEDMOOR! There are guys that shoot to 1 mile with their rifles up in Wyoming....some shooting PP and the target isn't 12'x12'....rather a round bullseye of 48"...and yes...they have misses but it's not because they're shooting UNSTABLE BULLETS! The entire essence of my posting reference this subject has been "why shoot at a distance beyond where your bullet will remain stable?" If a hit is gained....it's nothing but a frickin ACCIDENT!!

For the record....I'm done with this subject!!
Man why do some guy fill they have to even say a thing if they can't say something positive????
The guy just said he hit the target didn't say he could do it every time he was just show what happened and some know it all guy have try and ruin the who dam post. Let the guy tell his story he said he knew his bullet went Unstable around 1800 and didn't want to get ragged on about it. but what does it hurt for a guy to tell his story??????? Always got to be a big mouth on every forum!!!!!!

Good story and shooting VLD115 and Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree, thanks for posting your testing. This is the same sort of testing a site sponsor was speaking of in an earlier post. Most of us know bullets become unstable and the groups open up at ranges past a particular cartridges effective range. It's reinforces it to see it in real life and in photos.
Accident? Not at all. He knew the distance, he aimed the rifle and fired, he intentionally tried to hit the target. Due to limitations of the equipment he was only able to hit the intended target once. Luck, maybe, but whose to say?
A rifleman gains valuable knowledge of his abilities and his equipments (rifle & cartridge) capabilities (and limitations) by LR target shooting and this should include taking the long shots that you're not totally sure of.
This builds confidence and that's what gives you the edge when it comes to pulling off those impossible long shots. JohnnyK.

The only thing that a rifleman learns by usage of a sub-par cartridge or bullet in shooting LR is that he WILL NOT be able to hit the intended target on a consistent basis or possibly not at all! This holds true whether the rifleman is shooting paper from 1000 yards or steel from 2000 yards! However....it shouldn't take more than a couple of trips and some wasted ammo for an individual to have his bell rung to the extent that he/she finally hears a little voice that yells out....."SOMETHING IS WRONG"!!lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.