7mm at 2167 yards

Thanks for posting the thread. Looks like you had some fun shooting at those distances.

"Using the proper equipment for the job". My question is when do the paper patch go subsonic?

Brent

Brent

Anywhere from 200 to 300 yards depending upon the caliber and load being fired but don't make the mistake of thinking that these heavy all-lead cast bullets we shoot lose stability once entering the transonic stage because they don't! When looking at bullet holes in waxed cardboard target backing fired from 1000 yards the bullets enter point on and are quite accurate! Not unusual for some of the Creedmoor shooters to put 60% of their shots into the 20" diameter ten ring at this distance with maybe just 4 shots out into the 9 ring. Once a 720 gr. lead bullet is put into flight.....maybe not started fast at all compared to other 'whizzbangs' but the bullet just goes, and goes, and goes! Doesn't lose much of it's initial velocity compared to smokeless powder and jacketed bullets. Here's a 10 shot group I fired a while back from 1000 yds. with a 50 2 1/2 cartridge using a 720 gr. elliptical bullet. The vertical on this group is right around 10" or so and this rifle is very accurate.

Sharpsman I am not saying it can't be done, what I am saying is why? Someone figured this out long ago while everyone else was saying it was stupid and can't be done! Curiosity leads to innovation. You never know 115vld might just be the next guy who sets the standards for all to follow for years to come.

Brent

Last edited:
I'm with Sharpsman...someone take that kid's tropy away...luck is just unfair...
115VLD ifn you don't give your friends money back you're just **** lucky, not a REAL long range shooter!...and don't bother posting again unless you've got a ten shot group, and your chronograph is NIST calibrated....blah blah blah....

I feel better now.

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts