7mm-.375Ruger

wkt60

Looking for info on possibly doing a 7mm-.375Ruger
Anybody currently shooting this caliber or working up loads
Thanks

Just starting on a reamer print, do you have a reamer/chambered barrel?
I was planning on pushing the shoulder back enough to give at least a .280 long neck, thinking a .318 no-turn neck.
And here I thought I was breaking new ground :D

James

James,
I read on a site somewhere( trying to find it now) that Pacific Tool & Gauge has a reamer already for this caliber.
I'll call on Monday,maybe get a print.
I'm a newbie & somebody on another board suggested this.....
I've purchased some once fired brass & am looking to build some dummy loads.
OAL is important to me as I want it to feed from my magazine.( Savage 300RUM action)
Have you given thoughts to bullets,etc?
Any thoughts or help appreciated
Thanks,Kent

Kent,
Yes I have given this a fair amount of thought.
If you leave the shoulder where it is you will end up with a case around 2.572" long and a neck of around .25" long. I have considered shorting the case length to 2.500" (the same as the 7mm RM) on the other hand leaving it at say 2.570 would insure complete cleanup when rechambering a a 7mm RM barrel to the 7x375 without setting it back any. Either way you would be looking at AOL lengths very nearly the same as the 7mm RM. The 375 Ruger handles pressure well so you should be able to duplicate 7mm RUM performance with a standard length long action. One thing I am sure of is that I like 30º shoulders and I will retain that.

On a side note I recently got the reamers for a 30 cal version based on the 375 Ruger that I am going to use on my new 1000yd heavy gun. I pushed the shoulder back significantly more on it than I intend to do on the 7mm version though.

James

Last edited:
how does the 375Ruger case compare capacity wise to say an STW/300wby case? roughly the same?

Hey Kent, haven't talked for awhile.;)

If James H is correct I think you've found your cartridge. 180s at 3200+ out of a standard magazine is hard to argue with.

James H,

I think you are very optimistic to think the 7/375 Ruger will run with the 7 RUM. The case capacity just isn't there. Better to say it would duplicate the 7mm Dakota and 7 STW.

I too have pondered making the 7/375. It is the right length to fit into a standard length action. The Ruger M77 comes to mind. The longer STW and RUM just won't fit.

I recently I rechambered a new 26" 7 mm rem mag takeoff with 26" barrel to 7 STW and put it into a rem model 700 for far less money. The only compromise is that the bullets have some jump to the rifling. It shoots the 168 Berger at 3200 fps very accurately with a .160" jump. I suppose I could get a wyatt's magazine box but I this was done on the cheap as an experiment.

When the 375 was first announced I called Pacific Tool and Gauge and they ALREADY had the 7/375 reamer made!

My shooting friend, Dan, and I have three new reamers from Pacific..a match 7 rem mag made to my specs with a slightly longer OAL designed to shoot the 180 Berger VLD. A 7 STW and a 7 RUM also set up for the 180 VLD. I suppose we are out of our minds but we want to wring out all three chamberings with 30" barrels over time. It will be interesting to see how they perform.

Currently Dan is making a 7 STW and I am making the 7 Rem mag on Lilja 1 in 7 twist, SS, 30" tubes. The 180 VLD is the bullet. Unfortunately Dan doesn't offer a 1 in 8 or 1 in 8 1/2 twist, but
he says it will work well. He said he hasn't heard of any 180s coming apart but if they do we can always go with the heavier jacketed version.

This stuff is just too much fun.!

Anyone shooting one yet??

I did some work, and research going to do a .30 based on the .375 Ruger. When it was all said and done, it was basically recreating the .300 Wby. The only advantage is the one listed, a Ruger M77, that can't take the longer cartridges. Wildcats are fun, but with the 7mm STW, 7mm Dakota, 7mm AM, and 7mm RUM, it doesnt seem much point in making another.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts