7mm RUM or 7mm STW

If you wanna make sure you can find great brass build a 7-338AI Lapua. Let the horsepower wars begin.:)

This I think would be the ideal hot rod 7 in a carry rifle. We have this reamer on the shelf. Problem for the OP is it would not be a good idea to chamber on the factory action.

We have just started working with the 300 Norma mag parent case. So far we have done one in .308 and it is very impressive. This chambering is running 300 RUM vel with ~10g less powder. The overall length is much more conducive to mag feeding with long bullets than the RUM case.

So if a guy wanted to do something different, and get great performance on a factory action. I would choose a 7-300 Norma mag improved. (staying with the 7mm theme of the thread)

Only other thing I will add is to look at a bit faster than standard twist to take advantage of the new bullets that are out there and coming in the future. Go with at least an 8" twist.

Steve

Thanks for all the advice. Think I will change it over to a STW, now for the next question, 28" or 30" barrel ? Ill be hunting from a shooting house so Im not worried about a little xtra barrel length. Does anyone advise a break ?

When I was young I carried a 7-.300 Weatherby with a heavy 28" barrel. The powder capacity of that and the STW is the same. For a rifle used in a stand, I would go with a 30" barrel ending in a large side port brake. Seeing the impact adds fun for a barbarian like me. If you don't want to go with a different action, I would use the .300 case shape because of the longer neck. The throat will last longer.

If you don't mind a wildcat and the case Steve is recommending has a longer neck than the STW I would go with that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.