7mm 190 a-tip @3,000fps which cartridge

I found out long ago, I can't a round do exactly what I want it to do if I want to lean on it hard enough..........just a thunk

Looking for opinions on which cartridge to choose to push a 190 atip around 3,000fps. Rifle will be used for shooting steel targets. Have a long action with magnum bolt face. 1000 rds of barrel life would be great. First thought was a 7rem mag with a 28" barrel, but not sure it will get there and shoot well there? Don't have a problem with wildcats but would rather go with the straight forward option. So what would you guys choose to move forward with?

Open to other options as well.
28 Nosler
7mm rem mag
7-300prc
7-300win
What action?

Holy đź’© that's cookin, even for an STW case capacity. What barrel length did you obtain those velocities from and, if you don't mind me asking, what is brass and primer pocket life like, what do the case heads look like after firing?

That's amazing performance
It's a carbon wrapped 28" Muller Works 7.5 twist. The brass is Peterson that I formed out of there belted mag basic brass. I'm on 5 fireings now.

Not meaning to derail the thread but I think it's somewhat relevant…

How close would a 280 Ackley get to the op's requirements?

How close would the 7saum get?

plenty of guys push the SAUM to 2900+ with long barrels. But common sense says you have to stand on it hard, with the powders that don't promote long barrel life.

Last edited:
Looking for opinions on which cartridge to choose to push a 190 atip around 3,000fps. Rifle will be used for shooting steel targets. Have a long action with magnum bolt face. 1000 rds of barrel life would be great. First thought was a 7rem mag with a 28" barrel, but not sure it will get there and shoot well there? Don't have a problem with wildcats but would rather go with the straight forward option. So what would you guys choose to move forward with?

28 Nosler
7mm rem mag
7-300prc
7-300win

28 Nosler
7mm rem mag
7-300prc
7-300win
What action?
Zermatt origin long action
What @Jnm300ultra said.

I have a couple similar to what you are looking for.

26" 7RM pushing a 184 Hyb @ 3045fps w. RL26 (only a late season load) or 180 Hyb @ 2996 w. H1000. 28" would get you there, but you will be leaning on it.

26" 28 Nosler pushing a 195 Elite @ 3087fps with a moderate load of IMR8133. RL33, N570 both spank this for velocity, up to 3150+fps. N568 will get 3100. Retumbo will substitute for IMR8133 (not gr for gr though). 3000fps is EASY with a 28 Nos and you don't have to step on the gas.

Not meaning to derail the thread but I think it's somewhat relevant…

How close would a 280 Ackley get to the op's requirements?

How close would the 7saum get?

They might get there with some sort of double based velocity making powder and the right reamer....but either of those are gonna eat brass and barrels like candy.

The 7-300wsm is going to be marginal for a velocity of 3k and a 1k barrel life IMO.