7mm-08 and H380 powder

elkslayerjc

Does anyone have any info on the H380 for the 7mm-08. I am using 140 nosler Accubonds with CCI 200 primers. I was loading RL25 with great results but the more I read about the RL powders the more I want to change due to temp sensitivity. This is a hunting rifle and I hunt from 0-90 degrees. The reason for the change to H380 is, a guy I met is a retired sniper and he used this powder in his match competitions. He was shooting a 308 and had amazing results so I thought I would give it a try. Does anyone have any feed back on this powder. I have loaded some rounds and had good result so far but I just need to make sure it is a reliable powder. Also, I didn't have any load data for this combo but I started with 42.0 grns, then 43.0 grns and both seem to shoot well. 43.0 grns started to show slight pressure signs by flatening of the primer. Does anyone have an idea of a max load for this combo? gun)

H380 is a good stable powder, but its dirty, using magnum primers with it helps but it gives you pretty high extreme spreads. You may want to try Imr4320, Varget, or even compressed H4350, they are much cleaner and do not carbon foul near as often, just a thought.

When the 7-08 first came out, I knew several folks who tried ball powder in it for match rifles. None of them got accuracy good enough for competition. Hunting use may well be OK. 'Course ball powder's never worked consistantly well in virtually all cartridges used in competition. Medium speed extruded powders did great, especially the IMR ones.

I use varget in my 7mm08 with the 139 grain SST. It is an extream powder and should do well in a wide variety of Temps. You may want to try it with your accubonds.

You could use IMR4350 and cci250 primers. The starting load is 43.7 gr. a friend of my has used this and it works well for him. The max load is alittle over 46 gr and it is a compressed load. Approach carefully.

Hope you dont mind a few cents worth from another 7mm08 fan. Unfortunately I have no experience with the h380 but I have had three 7mm08's and the powders that have always worked best in mine have been the varget with 120 gn projectiles and the h414/4350 and 140 gn projectiles with compressed loads. accuracy has always been excelent. I wont give out the powder charge for obvious reasons but h414 or what we call in Australia AR2209 (and CCI mag primer) is by far the the best in my sako fitted with 26 inch Maddco barrel. Velocities are between 2995 and 3010fps with 140 Sierra GK. The mag primer may seem a little strange in a small case like the 7mm08 but it seems to go well with the compressed load and long barrel. Also, accuracy improved dramatically when I switched to the hotter primer. I have also had good results with W760 with all bullet weights but it seems to be a very dirty powder. Hope this helps you out.

Drummer Boy,
Thanks for the valuable information I really appreciate your knowledge. I will give varget and H414 a whirl. I've loaded Imr 4350 and RL 19 that was compressed but they didn't group that well at all but I was using cci 200's not the mag primers. That totoly makes sense. Thanks!!!!!!!! gun)

No problems, any time. the Varget gets the 120gn Barnes TSX going at around 3100fps and they are absolutely devastating on hogs. North end shots generally exit from the south end and they look as they have been struck by lightning.

I have 7mm-08's both short 20" and 21" in length. I used H-414, IMR-4064, WW-760, and Big Game recently. I have used H-380 but it does have pressure issues at the top when temps rose above 65 deg for me.

@42.0 grains of Varget under most 140's works well just have to adjust overall length if magazine allows.

I really like Big Game or WW-760 w/CCI mag primers under the 145 Speer Hot-Core for a woods load.

Varget, BR-2's and the 120 TTSX is great load too.

Great round, learn to anneal necks and keep trim to length if not change your brass out after 3-4 firings or you will get neck cracking if running top loads.

ELKSLAYER

You don't mention what twist and brand of rifle you are using.

I have two Remington 7mm 08's a. 1 is for hunting with a 1 in 9.25 twist that loves 150 accubonds propelled by IMR 4895 velocity 2700 fps

My competiton rifles 1 in 9 " twist heavy SHILEN barrel that luvs H414 followed by Varget
I shoot 162 AMAX , 168 Sierra Match and 175 grain Sierra Match out to 1,000 yds velocities 2600 to 2700 fps avg

All 3 powders shoot super clean. H380 is like dirty diesel fuel and I could never ever get the groups closer than 2 " at 100 yds

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.