H380 powder?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Looking for experience w/ H380. I have heard some people talk about not liking the ball powders. I am wondering if I should try IMR 4320 instead? I have used IMR 4831 in the past and very happy. If someone could comment on the ball powder vs extruded I would like to hear it.

Thank you, Steve

I love it. Extreme spread numbers are always excellent. Nothing meters better. No scale needed means I can throw 100 rounds in under 3 minutes. I have fired over 6000 reloads through my Ruger 22-250 with H-380 and it still shoots .2 or less at 100 yards. I have tried pounds and pounds of other powders for the 22-250 and alway come right back to what works. Stay a bit away from max and the slight temp sensitivity will not be a problem. I always recommend H-380 for anything it will work in. I prefer ball powder wherever I can use it.

I've had good luck with it in the 300SAUM and 30-06. Tried it in a few others with limited success. Every rifle is different.

H380 has a good burn rate for quite a few carts.

Good Luck

Reloader

Its been a "ok" powder for me in a 22-250, 220 swift and 243, but its consistency was a lack there of in better words, I prefer stick powder vs ball powder. I always single weigh each charge reguardless of powder type anyways, so I know thats not the problem, especially when everyone else "throws" this particular powder. Takes me a while but who cares.

The loads would shoot good one given day, meaning .5" or better with really good velocity and show good ES numbers, but the next day it would be grouping 1" and the velocity was spread all over hell, as much as 100fps different in all 3 calibers. Its got to be one of the most temp sensitive powders out there, IMO. If you hunt and shoot in winter/summer where theres a drastic change, your going to have to work up 2 different loads, thats for sure.

I had very good luck loading h380 in my 300 wsm w/ hornady 110 vmax bullets.

Thanks for all the info. Any opinions on the IMR4320? I will be loading in a 30-60.
Thanks again, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.