700 vsf recoil pad help

chattduck

I just bought a rem 700 vsf (varmint synthetic fluted) which is a last year's model. The stock is the light beige armid fiber w/ bedding block, but I don't know if its a HS of a B&C. I want to remove the factory recoil plate (1/4" hard rubber) and replace it with a prefit R3 pad. My question is how do you remove the factory pad. There are no screws beneth the rubber; only an aluminum plate with screw holes, but nothing in the holes for a screw to bite.

Suggestions??

Thanks, Gary

Easiest way is to saw the thing off.

That's what I do.

Just cut off the rubber with a hacksaw and then (hopefully you have access to one) use a milling machine and chew on through to the stock material. Don't try to mill the rubber. Won't work worth a ****.

I always glue new pads on. Just scuff the stock, ensure there's no grease/oil, and sand the back of the pad as well. Some 10-15 minute epoxy works great.

Then belt sand to match the stock. A little lemon juice on a sanding block cleans up the gummies real nice so that it doesn't look like it was done in a 3rd world sweat shop.

Belt sanding the pad to match the stock is the tricky part. The trick is to always keep the stock moving. a belt sander removes material in a hurry and you'll end up with facets and low spots if you try to hog one particular spot down. Just plan on being there about 15 minutes before it starts to look right. Take your time and inspect often.

Good luck buddy.

I actually spoke with HS Precision the other day and they were a big help. Basically, the factory butt spacers/pad is glued on with epoxy. HS recommended a couple of ways to get them off: heat gun and a utility knife, or a bandsaw, followed by a belt sander. There are no screws involved.

I started off with a utility knife and when I got close to the stock, I started with the belt sander. When the sander got the pad pretty hot, it started to melt the glue and peeled off. Just needed one more hit to clean the glue off the stock.

I used epoxy to attach the new pad, ground it down, ready to go. It was pretty easy once I kind of knew what I was trying to do.

Good Shooting..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.