Glued Recoil Pad

mwkelso

Need to replace the recoil pad on an older Weatherby stock. Pulled out the 2 screws only to find the pad is still attached very well.
The stock is in the process of being refinished, so the lacquer has been stripped off and is no longer holding pad and stock together.
I read a forum inside LRH about this issue, only it was on a B&C synthetic. Solution was to freeze the stock for 24 hours then separate with wide chisel. Since this stock is Walnut, I'm not too fond of the freezer idea.
Any proven methods from past experiences?

Kelso, had a Wby stock with the pad glued. Finally used my neighbor's band saw to cut it off and a belt sander to get down to the wood. Replaced pad with a grind to fit and screws. Had the stock refinishing done by a professional refinisher.

About all you can do is cut the glued on pad off, square the end and use a grind to fit pad. Don't forget to seal the raw wood before installing the pad for the last time. Dosh, did you have the stock refinished because of the grind to fit installation, or just because it needed it to begin with? And on another note, I really despise the glued on pads that some of the pre-inletters seem to think they need to add to their stocks (like Richards!). They are not doing you and favors and are nothing but a waste. A pre-inlet will need to be sanded, and during the sanding some of the rubber from the pad will be drug on to and into the stock.

Last edited:
About all you can do is cut the glued on pad off, square the end and use a grind to fit pad. Don't forget to seal the raw wood before installing the pad for the last time. Dosh, did you have the stock refinished because of the grind to fit installation, or just because it needed it to begin with? And on another note, I really despise the glued on pads that some of the pre-inletters seem to think they need to add to their stocks (like Richards!). They are not doing you and favors and are nothing but a waste. A pre-inlet will need to be sanded, and during the sanding some of the rubber from the pad will be drug on to and into the stock.

Short grass, the Wby stock was one of two Mark V Deluxe walnut factory stocks I bought in a four stock deal. I was into it for <$30 and gave one to a good friend. He paid for the refinish so there would be no scratches and the old pad was hard. Still have the other walnut stock, but sold the two B&C Mark V stocks. Wish I could find a few more deals like that.

I haven't been able to completely see the pad removal through yet. Been a chaotic week.
Just to see what was under, I did cut the soft rubber free from the plastic plate. It will still be a bit before I can get to grinding or sawing.
Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever seen someone leave that plastic plate glued on and set a new pad over the top of it?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts