700 vs 722 action differences

870shooter

I tried to search this out in the forum and did not find anything to answer this question,

What, if any, differences exist for stocking purposes between the Rem 700 and 722 actions? I'm looking to restock a rebarreled 722 and want a thumbhole, HB, stock, and wondered if I could use a 700 stock?

Thanks for any input.

For all practical purposes they are the same.

I have 722s and 721s which fit interchangeable with 700 LAs and SAs.

Pillar and skim bedding remove all concerns, which there are none.

Go for it with confidence

You'll need to do a little inletting for the safety. The 700 tang is notched for the safety lever.

Gentlemen, Not having shot a 721 in many years, many, many years, is it that much different than a 700?

The safety is the only difference. If you notch the 721/722 action you can install a 700 trigger. The bolt stop spring is also slightly different, but all the other parts are completely interchangeable.

The trigger sears are 2 piece and the bolt handle is slightly different as well. The bolt handle can cause some stock fitment issues. Some of the early 700's had 2 piece trigger sears too.

Besides the notch for the safety, the rear tang has a bit of a different shape then the 700. I stocked a 721 into a 700 stock and did a bit of grinding/filing/polishing so that it fit flush with the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.