Remington 722

duckcrazy

Guys,
I need some help with this 722 and the safety. I bought this 722 and the last owner broke the safety off, I put a new Remington trigger in it and found out real quick they don't fit without some type of relieve cut on the tang, I'm sure this is how he broke it off. The 257 shoots very good and the rifling is good. Getting aggravated with it at this point, their are no smiths around here with the talent to do that work. Any suggestions at all. I know, sell it and move on.

The main difference between the 722 and the 700 is the small relief on the tang for the 700 trigger.

About 10 minutes with a hand file or dremel and some cold blue will make your action 700 trigger friendly.

Then you can also fit it into any stock made for the 700.

Thanks again Geargrinder, I may go the file route but not the dremel. I thought I might get a vise for the drill press and get a metal grinder bit. I would really like it done by someone who knows their way around a milling machine.

Engineer, the gun is very nice and shoots very well. I picked it up because I was going to have a 260 build done on the 722 action, but went to a long action 700 for my 6.5 build. So I thought if I could get it squared away I would use it for hunting. I really wanted a 260 but came across a steel on a brux barrel in 6.5.

The main difference between the 722 and the 700 is the small relief on the tang for the 700 trigger.

About 10 minutes with a hand file or dremel and some cold blue will make your action 700 trigger friendly.

Then you can also fit it into any stock made for the 700.
It will fit into a stock for a 700, but it won't fit right. The rear tang will need substantial reshaping tp blend with the stock.

Thanks Geargrinder, I picked up a milling bit today and will set the drill press up tomorrow for the cut. Your right it does not look hard at all. I marked the tang tonight.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.