7 WSM - H4831sc

300shorty

New to the 7 WSM so forgive me for asking a question that might have already been addressed. Anybody running the H4831sc with 180 Bergers? If so, what were the results? Looking to try a somewhat "mild" load with a heavier bullet and still maintain decent velocity (sub 3K fps)...if that's possible. Also considering the H1000 and read good reviews of the N560 but I'm not trying to see how fast I can burn out my barrel either.

Thanks in advance.

Ton of information in here, including lots of loads and different gun powders to use:

7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

You don't provide any information on your rig or your location. you don't say whether you are running out of a short, medium, or long action. What length barrel? Are you long-throated to provide more case capacity or running shorter than 2.90" COAL?

From my personal experience with 26", 28", and 30+" barrels, if you are running a 24-26" tube (or running a sub-3.00" COAL), then you have very little chance of seeing 2,900 fps from a 7WSM running a Berger (or Sierra) 180, regardless of the load. I could not reach the 2,900 fps node on my 26" tube even with a heavy load; with the 168s yes, but not with the 180s; with my long-throated 28" tube (long action) I got to the 2,900 fps node. With my 31" long-throated F-class rig I got to the 3,000 fps node.

My personal favorite powders in my various 7WSMs for running Berger and Sierra 180s are RL-25 (but not in the desert - it was too temperature sensitive), H1000, H4831SC, (retumbo works also - but its not on my favorite list) IMR7828/7828SSC (if I don't have any of the H powders). A new powder to consider when they get some data out is the new IMR Enduron powders, and the new RL26.

Jeffvn

can u guys usually always get your bergers to shoot? i hate load testing and im trying 168 bergers with h1000 right now, what yard do u load test at.

Ton of information in here, including lots of loads and different gun powders to use:

7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

You don't provide any information on your rig or your location. you don't say whether you are running out of a short, medium, or long action. What length barrel? Are you long-throated to provide more case capacity or running shorter than 2.90" COAL?

From my personal experience with 26", 28", and 30+" barrels, if you are running a 24-26" tube (or running a sub-3.00" COAL), then you have very little chance of seeing 2,900 fps from a 7WSM running a Berger (or Sierra) 180, regardless of the load. I could not reach the 2,900 fps node on my 26" tube even with a heavy load; with the 168s yes, but not with the 180s; with my long-throated 28" tube (long action) I got to the 2,900 fps node. With my 31" long-throated F-class rig I got to the 3,000 fps node.

My personal favorite powders in my various 7WSMs for running Berger and Sierra 180s are RL-25 (but not in the desert - it was too temperature sensitive), H1000, H4831SC, (retumbo works also - but its not on my favorite list) IMR7828/7828SSC (if I don't have any of the H powders). A new powder to consider when they get some data out is the new IMR Enduron powders, and the new RL26.

Jeffvn

Point well made, Jeff. I apologize for not providing that information. My loads will be running out of a Surgeon Scalpel 7 WSM SA with 26" Krieger 1:9 twist barrel.

I am new to the 7mm world and I understand that certain bullets, i.e. Berger, are longer to improve BC performance. I would like them seated enough so that I will not encounter any feeding issues. Running them out of a modified AI mag. I would guess around 2.9 COAL max as I have read anything over that will greatly increase chances of feeding problems.

Thanks for the posts! Keep it coming guys. I can never get enough knowledge/information.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.