7 STW with tight/minimum headspace

270wsmnutt

I have a Remington 700 action that has Sako extractor, action milled to lighten, 26" Hart sporter barrel with brake. I bought this gun used and it was built by the gunsmiths at Williams Sight Company. The owner did tell me that it had a tight head space with the head to belt space at its minimum . But I have found that after full length resizing with Redding die, about 2 out of every 8 new, unfired Remington cases will chamber correctly (bolt closes with some tension, but not much) and the others will not close at all. So my question is do you think this just needs to be re-chambered (may be the barrel set back a full turn or two) or is there something else I can do about the head space issue? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

No No the Redding Comp shell holders are a great tool but do the opposite of what you want they are to increase headspace not reduce it. They are thicker than a regular shell holder. You should not need to set the barrel back on a too tight chamber only on a excessive headspace barrel. Take it to a good smith and he can fix it.

the competition shellholder set will make your brass longer . the sets include a + .002 , + .004 , + .006 , + .008 , + .010 . nothing in this set will size your brass shorter .

do you have a way to measure the cases that fit , and the cases that don't ? the hornady headspace tool or something similar , is what you need .

I have a Remington 700 action that has Sako extractor, action milled to lighten, 26" Hart sporter barrel with brake. I bought this gun used and it was built by the gunsmiths at Williams Sight Company. The owner did tell me that it had a tight head space with the head to belt space at its minimum . But I have found that after full length resizing with Redding die, about 2 out of every 8 new, unfired Remington cases will chamber correctly (bolt closes with some tension, but not much) and the others will not close at all. So my question is do you think this just needs to be re-chambered (may be the barrel set back a full turn or two) or is there something else I can do about the head space issue? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
I used to have a Interarms Mark X in .300 Win. Mag. that had the same problem. Don't miss that rifle at all!

270wsmnutt . . . .

Measure your FIRED case diameter above the belt (using the wide part of your calipers).

Then, take the same measurement on one of your tight fitting HANDLOADS. The diameter of your handloads should be .001" smaller. If not, you are looking at the real problem.

Take a look at the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die.

I used to have a Interarms Mark X in .300 Win. Mag. that had the same problem. Don't miss that rifle at all!

I have an Interarms Mark X in 7 mm Rem Mag. It suffered the exact opposite problem: slightly excessive headspace.

A gunsmith turned a little off the shoulder of the barrel, reducing the headspace to spec. It shoots very well, even with a pencil-thin barrel, and I love it. Have used it on a lot of game at long range.

No No the Redding Comp shell holders are a great tool but do the opposite of what you want they are to increase headspace not reduce it. They are thicker than a regular shell holder. You should not need to set the barrel back on a too tight chamber only on a excessive headspace barrel. Take it to a good smith and he can fix it.
I agre with sedancowboy,you have a short chamber which is ok,you first need to make sure your die contact de Shell holder thight ,and then you resize your brass and see if it is chamber ok,if not you can try a .005 thousand shim under the head of your brass,if it is ok you can have your Shell holder grind ,010 thousand on the top of the Shell holder at a local machine shop it will be much cheeper then having a smith reaming your thight chamber, off course when you will intall your resizing die just make a light contact at first and adjust your die to chamber your round freely, I have to 308 with sbort chamber and a 7mm WSM ,.and this is how y correct the problem,

I like the .005 thousand shim idea, won't cost me anything and I can test that myself. I will give a try tonight. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.