Minimum Headspace

Just put together a 7mag remage and a savage 280AI. On the AI it worked great brass not moving much on initial firing. On the 7 mag since the gauges use the belt still had .018 case stretch on first firing. I'm not sure on a belted mag what you can do. I looked at using brass to set the headspace off the shoulder but from my research that wasn't recommended.
That was always the problem with belted mags. Best you can do is shoot them one time to fireform and then set your dies to just bump from then on. Sometimes that initial stretch is pretty big. Only way to make that initial stretch not start a separation is to load light and seat jammed. Then the front of the case moves and the back doesn't stretch. Be nice if factory mag brass wasn't.020 too short to start with. But thats the way it is.

I have traditionally set all my barrels with minimum headspace. I've decided recently I'm not doing that anymore. THE reason being that I reload everything on a progressive press, even precision loads- I measure reach powder charge and manually dump into the case on the press.

The issue, as others have stated, is that you often can't size the brass enough. Most times this is remedied by grinding down the to of the shell holder... Not so doable with a shell plate.

That's really the only reason for me personally.

That was always the problem with belted mags. Best you can do is shoot them one time to fireform and then set your dies to just bump from then on. Sometimes that initial stretch is pretty big. Only way to make that initial stretch not start a separation is to load light and seat jammed. Then the front of the case moves and the back doesn't stretch. Be nice if factory mag brass wasn't.020 too short to start with. But thats the way it is.

Sometimes that initial stretch is pretty big.
This is so untrue it's not funny.
A belted case CANNOT stretch near the web upon the first firing…the belt makes that impossible. What does cause the stretch is by the handloader sizing the shoulder too much. If you induce .004-.006" shoulder headspace with the die, the case will separate within 3-4 firings.
A belted case has to be headspaced at .220" on the belt…not .221, .222" or .223", this tolerance has to be precise, then after the first firing, and proceeding firings with neck sizing, then the case gets bumped .0015" to keep headspace precise.
I actually headspace my belted cases at .219" quite often, as brass is undersized to the belt.

Cheers.

This is so untrue it's not funny.
A belted case CANNOT stretch near the web upon the first firing…the belt makes that impossible. What does cause the stretch is by the handloader sizing the shoulder too much. If you induce .004-.006" shoulder headspace with the die, the case will separate within 3-4 firings.
A belted case has to be headspaced at .220" on the belt…not .221, .222" or .223", this tolerance has to be precise, then after the first firing, and proceeding firings with neck sizing, then the case gets bumped .0015" to keep headspace precise.
I actually headspace my belted cases at .219" quite often, as brass is undersized to the belt.

Cheers.
They stretch right at the belt body junction. Which is exactly where they separate after reloading them multiple times. They always separate at the exact same place. If they stretched somewhere else this wouldn't be. And it doesn't matter if you headspace at .220 if the belts are inconsistent as heck. I agree if the belt actually fit the chamber perfectly at .220 then yes it wouldn't stretch like they do because the case couldn't push forward when the firing pin hits. But they dont fit perfect and I know this because I made a gauge that measures the the belt height. They are very inconsistent especially between brands. The best ones I have found are the Wby mag cases. Very close and consistent. Winchester and Remington may as well not even put the belt on it they are so bad. I don't see .219 doing much to help the issue when the belts are off by .005 to .010. The problem is the inconsistent nature between brands. If you chambered for a particular batch of brass it would work great. Then if your next batch has taller belts they wont chamber. So I personally just headspace on the magnum gauge and fire form my brass. Not hard with wby mag brass as the only belted mags I shoot are 257wby and 257/6.5 wby. These are my oldschool favorites. None of my regular magnums have belts. Ive been building custom rifles for over 30 yrs and have chambered less than 10 belted magnums in the last 10 yrs. Mostly 257 wbys.
Shep

You are completely wrong. Just like the comment about long brass making a difference, it doesn't.
Have been doing this for 30 years with every brand and type of belted case…never ever have I had a case head separation that was caused by my handloading techniques. Have had them due to faulty brass.

Cheers.

I have been handloading for more than 3 decades and 11 months and only had head separations when I created excessive headspace by excessive F/L sizing - this includes super premium & expensive brass. This includes belted cases that have large variations in "belt height" - like measure the belts then ignore the useless belts - headspace on shoulder. I use a cheap feeler gauge to set die height on shell holder & headspace on shoulder. Every rifle chamber has variations & headspace accordingly or "They always separate at the exact same place."

Should a separation occur on some exciting occasion carry a stiff bronze brush of a larger caliber to snag the busted off front half of the brass from the chamber.

I set up my last 3 rifles with minimum headspace, the shoulders only blow forward .002 from factory brass length. I am seeing a noticeable difference, for the good, in my groups in all rifles. Granted, two have CBI barrels, but one is a factory Savage. First time I've done this, most chambers on factory rifles give .012-015 shoulder blow. My velocities are on par with what is usual for the cartridges, so is there a downside to setting minimum chamber spec?

In addition, I am also seating the bullets at slight touch of the lands, can still unchamber and no bullet movement.
This is why I like barrel nut setups vs shouldered prefit ( although I have both). I have the option of adjusting the headspace myself. Playing with matching headspace between multiple rifles. I haven't made a final decision yet but I kinda like to fool around and maybe find out 😉

This is why I like barrel nut setups vs shouldered prefit ( although I have both). I have the option of adjusting the headspace myself. Playing with matching headspace between multiple rifles. I haven't made a final decision yet but I kinda like to fool around and maybe find out 😉
Hey, that Bartlein fit perfect on the SOLUS! Still have not shot it yet though. Yes, it came back to me like the boomerang it is! LOL

Hey, that Bartlein fit perfect on the SOLUS! Still have not shot it yet though. Yes, it came back to me like the boomerang it is! LOL
Well, Daggum:10 shot group!
IMG_9227.jpeg