7 STW limitations

I had read a hand full of years back that Walt Berger recommended 1800 FPS for his bullets. With the advent of new bullets and technology you never know, that's why I asked.

I had read a hand full of years back that Walt Berger recommended 1800 FPS for his bullets. With the advent of new bullets and technology you never know, that's why I asked.
I remember reading that as well, but like I said, I've heard of some expanding down to 1,300 FPS. Can't remember what all ones it was, but I do know ABLR was listed, I thought Bergers were, as well, but could be mistaken.

I remember reading that as well, but like I said, I've heard of some expanding down to 1,300 FPS. Can't remember what all ones it was, but I do know ABLR was listed, I thought Bergers were, as well, but could be mistaken.
I think it is safe to say the STW will kill big game further than anyone in his right mind would be willing to shoot at an animal. Not first choice for big bears, but with the right bullets, and a guide with a big bore? I would shoot one with it. Dr McRacken in Stuttgart poached a Polar Bear in Siberia a few years back with a .257 Weatherby. Great story, but not now....

I think it is safe to say the STW will kill big game further than anyone in his right mind would be willing to shoot at an animal. Not first choice for big bears, but with the right bullets, and a guide with a big bore? I would shoot one with it. Dr McRacken in Stuttgart poached a Polar Bear in Siberia a few years back with a .257 Weatherby. Great story, but not now....
Same as any other rifle caliber. Match the game to the bullet, the preferred POI, and range. Put it where it belongs and your odds of success are extremely high.

With the high BC bullets available today, modern powders etc the effective range of the STW on medium and large game exceeds the capability of probably 99% of those who will ever shoot it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.