7 stw

I am finally able to challenge the old man on paper
..his eyes aren't the 20-10 they used to be. And I have acquired some accurate rifles. As well as my hand loads get better. But his instincts in the feild still astound me.

I am finally able to challenge the old man on paper
..his eyes aren't the 20-10 they used to be. And I have acquired some accurate rifles. As well as my hand loads get better. But his instincts in the feild still astound me.
Well they do get old and slow.... .

Remember though you're just a generation behind HA!

I also think that the recoil might be an issue, 140g bullets would go a long way in this gun and it should shoot the 162g bullets that you're interested in.

I'm pretty sure tha it'll have a 1-9 1/4" twist bbl, so shooting the big vld Bullets won't be a option fo you.

I found a steal on an old custom 7stw. It is built of a really old Remington 700 Action BDL platform. This spring it'll get a new stock and optics as well as a single shot follower to allow it to shoot the 180g berger vlds better. It has a 27" Sendero Taper Barrel with a Vias Brake installed as well as a pinned oversized recoil lug. I have loaded just to shoot it on paper, but no serious load development. It'll group a 160g Sierra Gameking into an inch with a generic load and 180g Bergers so far about 1 inch as well. It has a 1-9" twist,so it will stablize what is out there.

Here are a few photos:

Dans guns II 005.jpg

Dans guns II 007.jpg

Dans guns II 002.jpg

Dans guns II 010.jpg

I threw in that last one to show how pretty a 7STW bullet is. It's loaded with a 180g berger VLD, For comparision Left to right are 7stw, .30-06 AI, 6.5-06AI, .243 AI, and .243 Win.

You're on the right track for a good hunting rifle. There are times I wish my rigs were handy light weight rifles, but they are amazing at long ranges. Isn't that why were on this site???

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.