7 saum, 168 VLDs and 4831sc

You never know until you try sometimes. I wanted to use Another powder in my 7WSM to get best velocities but couldn't get other powders and had H4831 on hand. Turned out not only to be accurate but in my gun it exceeded published velocities for a 162 Edlx by 150 fps. Ive seen 4831 do that in other rifles. So you never know how your combo/ gun will turn out so you might not leave any velocity on the table

I was gifted a 7MM SAUM but have not shot it yet. I am still hunting for seems to be an elusive set of dies. H4831 SC is my go-to powder, but sometimes you find some powder with surprising results.
What dies are you looking for? I haven't found a FL die yet, but I did order a Forster Benchrest seater die from Midway last week. I gave up looking for a set.

Midway has an RCBS set right now.

They also have a Forster Micrometer seater, Redding seater and some reading bushing neck sets if you're into that kind of thing.

IMHO, H4831SC is the go to powder for both the 7SAUM and the 280AI with 160-170 class bullets. You can get a little more velocity with others but with 4831 you get excellent velocity, tight groups, good temp stability and with 9-1/2 primers, stupid low ES/SD numbers. The best loads work out to near 100% load density.

Does anyone have experience with this combo? I was talking to a rifle building that builds a lot of 7 SAUMs and he said that 4831sc is the best powder for the 7 saum and 160 class bullets. However, I haven't been able to find much of anything online. Hodgdon has a little data for it but I'm wondering what real world numbers people are getting with this combo?
168 vld 4831 I got 2950 but accuracy's at 2800 5/16 groups in mine re22 got me 3/8 groups at 2950 22 inch tube 7saum

Does anyone have experience with this combo? I was talking to a rifle building that builds a lot of 7 SAUMs and he said that 4831sc is the best powder for the 7 saum and 160 class bullets. However, I haven't been able to find much of anything online. Hodgdon has a little data for it but I'm wondering what real world numbers people are getting with this combo?
Mine loves 4831sc. 61.8 grains is pushing the 166 ATips at 2849 with little teeny single hole groups. And a 5 shot ES of 4. I tried h1000 (my favorite all time powder) and it was slower. Probably due to my shorter barrel. I think in a 24inch barrel the h1000 would be the best.

I ran some 168s through my SAUM right after it was built, but switched to the 180s after the first range session. The 168s did shoot very well (actually a hair better than I was able to obtain with the 180s) but I was loading over H4350 and not 4831sc. Was loading 53 to 56gn of 4350 and my best node as at 54.5gn (4 shot cloverleafs at 100yd) This was in a custom rifle/action and the projectiles were seated pretty long, so make sure to check a load manual for safety if you use this combo. I did try 4831sc with the 180s but did not get anything close to the accuracy I got using H1000 or Retumbo with that bullet wt. Might help to know I am running a lighter #4 profile fluted 1-8.7 twist barrel at 25 in.

I've been using a NULA 7X61 Sharpe & Hart for about ten years. The S&H has about the same capacity as the 7 SAUM and load data is similar. H4831 or SC provides excellent accuracy with most bullets in the 140 -175 range. H4350 is about as good. I don't have any idea what SD or ES numbers are on my loads and don't look at these numbers unless accuracy is not what it should be.