7 saum, 168 VLDs and 4831sc

mfran615

Does anyone have experience with this combo? I was talking to a rifle building that builds a lot of 7 SAUMs and he said that 4831sc is the best powder for the 7 saum and 160 class bullets. However, I haven't been able to find much of anything online. Hodgdon has a little data for it but I'm wondering what real world numbers people are getting with this combo?

Following... I just picked one up and interested in that as well.
I've read 150's with H4350 is a fairly popular hunting load.

Last edited:
I've seen similar. But I'm planning on sticking with the 168s. Tons of info for H1000 and a few others, so I'm wondering I'll be ending up shooting H1000. I do have a good bit of that coming this week, but had a pound of 4831SC and have heard that's also a good choice.

I don't own a 7saum but have been strictly shooting a 300wsm for over 10 years and imagine they would like the same powders.
H100V, H4831, should work really good with the heavier bullets and
H4350 should work with the 150's good

I have a 7saum, 22" Proof Lite, 1-8T

Yesterday I was able to get 2855 from a 169 Hammer Hunter and 2830 from a 175ELDX both with H4831sc.

I did not get the speed I desired from the 175EH or 180 Hybrid with H4831sc but I didn't have 168s to try.

I have a 7saum, 22" Proof Lite, 1-8T

Yesterday I was able to get 2855 from a 169 Hammer Hunter and 2830 from a 175ELDX both with H4831sc.

I did not get the speed I desired from the 175EH or 180 Hybrid with H4831sc but I didn't have 168s to try.
I like the sound of that. I have a 26" 8 twist barrel so i'm optimistic I can get over 2900, or at least close to it. I'm not sure I'll need the speed of H1000 since I'll be shooting at 700 and in most often, sometimes out to 1k, and out to a mile every now and again.

4831 will probably not have quite the speed of h1000 but I found a wider accuracy node and noticeably lighter carbon fowling in mine with 180s
From what I've gathered, I will be ~100-125 fps slower with 4831 than with H1k, which isn't a deal breaker. I would rather have a wider node than max speed. Less fouling isn't a negative either. I have found there are probably 5-6 very common powders suggesting this is a very forgiving cartridge. I'm excited to start shooting it.

For anyone interested, this new build started out with a Defiance Tenacity and got a Brux barrel turned down to a heavy palma contour. It's sitting in a McMillan A5 painted in FDE Transition (all the was in stock). I installed a TriggerTech Diamond and tightened it all down with the Hawkins M5 DBM. I just got my Area 419 Hellfire Match brake in today, which I'm excited to try. Until I decide on what glass I want, it'll be wearing an Athlon, which will get the job done for now. I have no reason to think this rifle won't be capable of sub-half MOA when I do my part, likely closer to 1/2-1/3.

Does anyone have experience with this combo? I was talking to a rifle building that builds a lot of 7 SAUMs and he said that 4831sc is the best powder for the 7 saum and 160 class bullets. However, I haven't been able to find much of anything online. Hodgdon has a little data for it but I'm wondering what real world numbers people are getting with this combo?
YMMV. Here you go.

20220130_173128.jpg

You can also call (not email) Berger's tech support. They have been very helpful every time I call.

Last edited:
YMMV. Here you go.

View attachment 336366

You can also call +not email) Berger's tech support. They have been very helpful every time I call.
Thanks Feenix! This is good to see. Not very different than Hodgdon's data. I loaded some from 58.0-58.9. I'd be interested to know what brass they used. I agree though, Berger's tech support gets an A+ from me. Extremely helping and they truly seem to love what they do.

Thanks Feenix! This is good to see. Not very different than Hodgdon's data. I loaded some from 58.0-58.9. I'd be interested to know what brass they used. I agree though, Berger's tech support gets an A+ from me. Extremely helping and they truly seem to love what they do.
I was gifted a 7MM SAUM but have not shot it yet. I am still hunting for seems to be an elusive set of dies. H4831 SC is my go-to powder, but sometimes you find some powder with surprising results.