7 saum, 168 VLDs and 4831sc

I have a 24" Krieger and run h-4831sc. Running the Berger 175 Elite Hunter at 2935. Its the most accurate rifle I own. Shoots in the .0's on a regular basis. 3 shot group at 200

Attachments

• FDD9FF13-26A0-4892-82D2-61EA757078FA.PNG
    FDD9FF13-26A0-4892-82D2-61EA757078FA.PNG
    106.4 KB · Views: 58
I own 3 different 7 saum's and 2-6.5 saum's. I have tried just about every powder out there on the 7's and H4831sc has consistently been the best powder for 168's and 180's and H1000 on the 6.5's shooting 140's.

I load 59 grains H4831SC with 168 Classic Hunters .035 off of lands. 2840 FPS from a 23" barrel. Custom Model 700 Short Action.
It drives tacks.
I honestly thought I had settled on a load around 2950 FPS when it was first built using RE22. It shot ragged holes at 100 yards right up until I took it to the range ONE LAST TIME before loading all my brass. I had been shooting all along with temps in the 30's and 40's and we had a day up near 80.
Ragged holes turned into 1.5" groups at best. Totally left accuracy node with an extra 40 some feet per second……

Went back to drawing board with H4831 and have not looked back. It's still under 1/2 MOA at 800 yards…..

I have 7SAUM with a 24" Proof carbon barrel on a Tikka action that I built to shoot the 180's. Currently I am using 60 grains of H4831sc with a 180 SMK at 2900fps and it shoots in the .1's H4831sc has been very good in this rifle, but I also have a 6.5 and a 25 SAUM that use H1000. I don't think you can go wrong with either powder.

Does anyone have experience with this combo? I was talking to a rifle building that builds a lot of 7 SAUMs and he said that 4831sc is the best powder for the 7 saum and 160 class bullets. However, I haven't been able to find much of anything online. Hodgdon has a little data for it but I'm wondering what real world numbers people are getting with this combo?
1643655093429.png

Does anyone have experience with this combo? I was talking to a rifle building that builds a lot of 7 SAUMs and he said that 4831sc is the best powder for the 7 saum and 160 class bullets. However, I haven't been able to find much of anything online. Hodgdon has a little data for it but I'm wondering what real world numbers people are getting with this combo?
IMR-4831sc?
Is that the powder you want to use? and have on hand?
For 160-gr. bullets: Nosler does not mention IMR-4831sc.
But they do for 168-gr. (Regular, not SC.)
(Above)
1643655397674.png

Last edited:
I run H4831SC in my 7SAUM. It's a 26" Krieger 5R barrel without a brake. Muzzle velocity is about 2875 fps with 58.4 gr of 4831SC pushing a 162 gr AMax (unobtainium version from previous decade) out of Nosler brass using CCI BR2 primers. Consistent correlation between cold bore shot and repeated 5 shot strings. It's my favorite rifle.

I habe used this combo in my 7mm rem mag. I never did get really good groups but I had a lot of variables. I won't get into all of them. Long story short was shooting one inch groups with little homework done and my experience with berger vlds on animals is nothing but satisfactory. This year after shooting a couple elk with 210 vlds out of a 300prc I almost want to switch with how big of a mess they make. Both shots were low behind the shoulder and I had stomach content in my briskets.

I habe used this combo in my 7mm rem mag. I never did get really good groups but I had a lot of variables. I won't get into all of them. Long story short was shooting one inch groups with little homework done and my experience with berger vlds on animals is nothing but satisfactory. This year after shooting a couple elk with 210 vlds out of a 300prc I almost want to switch with how big of a mess they make. Both shots were low behind the shoulder and I had stomach content in my briskets.
Yep. And that shouldn't happen at that weight and velocity.
I've had that happen in 280 AI with same bullet in different weight, Hornady162 SST, one of the Barnes petal shedders ,
When those bullets frag, it makes a mess out of a good shot when parts enter the next cavity and mix the blood and gut throughout.
Even the Rem core lokt, Speer Hot Cor , Nosler BT flatten out but don't fragment as much as some of these other expensive premiums.

i do realize i am not directly addressing your qiestion, but i get 3260 in 300 wsm, 26 " benchmark barrel, reloader 22 and 168 barnes ttsx. would think re 22 would be a great load for saum.