7 RUM

Cowboyblaster

Ok guys its built i have the next stage recently started. Load development we decided on a upper nid weight bullet due to the 1 in 9.24 twist rate so as i am expecting this to be an extreme long range rifle naturally i want to get this little pill moving as fast as i can and still retain very good accuracy our first box was loaded with 87.5 gn of H1000. The 168gr bergers buried way back into the case to still sit in the 700 la magazine at that i got exceptional accuracy but my speed was lower than i had hoped and will be running it up to see where pressure is on it and how much speed we can get before we lose accuracy. Any shooters with experience wit this load please feel free to chime in id appreciate any feedback oh the load we tested was running 15 to 20fps Bove or below 3100fps.

Ok guys its built i have the next stage recently started. Load development we decided on a upper nid weight bullet due to the 1 in 9.24 twist rate so as i am expecting this to be an extreme long range rifle naturally i want to get this little pill moving as fast as i can and still retain very good accuracy our first box was loaded with 87.5 gn of H1000. The 168gr bergers buried way back into the case to still sit in the 700 la magazine at that i got exceptional accuracy but my speed was lower than i had hoped and will be running it up to see where pressure is on it and how much speed we can get before we lose accuracy. Any shooters with experience wit this load please feel free to chime in id appreciate any feedback oh the load we tested was running 15 to 20fps Bove or below 3100fps.

Attachments

• 20211112_074606.jpg
    20211112_074606.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
Ive not loaded for the 7mm rum but other big 7s with 26" bbl. Bump that load up by .1 gr or .2 and try it. If that doesn't work, there may be another node on up at or just below 3200. Your likely to find two nodes between 3100 to 3200 fps... Long story made short. You should find some accuracy between 3100. & 3200 fps if you don't hit excessive pressure first and I don't think you will.

Ive not loaded for the 7mm rum but other big 7s with 26" bbl. Bump that load up by .1 gr or .2 and try it. If that doesn't work, there may be another node on up at or just below 3200. Your likely to find two nodes between 3100 to 3200 fps... Long story made short. You should find some accuracy between 3100. & 3200 fps if you don't hit excessive pressure first and I don't think you will.
X-2

Dont know what powders you have available. +3200 should be really easy with a 168 in a 26" and your rifles accuracy may not be the best at those velocities. Not loaded for that exact cartridge only a 7 STW, 28 N's, 300 RUM's and this is where mine were accurate. With a 26" barrel the RUMs push a 165 at 3600. The 28N's out of 24" a 160 at 3350, 168 at 3250, 175 at 3200. The STW 26" 160 at 3300, hated 168's, 175 at 3250. Retumbo in the 28N's, R25 in the STW, and I dont remember in the RUM's right now. If you really want it I can get the specifics later.

Im hearing alot of good stuff abot the US869 powder or i think that is the correct # of it but i have no experience with this powder nor do my reloading guys a father and son ive known for 25+ years but id like to get ahold of some and give it a try

Last edited:
Im hearing alot of good stuff abot the US859 powder or i think that is the correct # of it but i have no experience with this powder nor do my reloading guys a father and son ive known for 25+ years but id like to get ahold of some and give it a try
I'm sure you intended 869. I tried it, tried it, tried it, and will try it again. I could never get the velocity and accuracy I could with other powders. I have some 7mm RM with 162's sitting in the load development pile with it right now. It is available much more than others before and even now.

Dont know what powders you have available. +3200 should be really easy with a 168 in a 26" and your rifles accuracy may not be the best at those velocities. Not loaded for that exact cartridge only a 7 STW, 28 N's, 300 RUM's and this is where mine were accurate. With a 26" barrel the RUMs push a 165 at 3600. The 28N's out of 24" a 160 at 3350, 168 at 3250, 175 at 3200. The STW 26" 160 at 3300, hated 168's, 175 at 3250. Retumbo in the 28N's, R25 in the STW, and I dont remember in the RUM's right now. If you really want it I can get the specifics later.
Im realy hoping to get it up to 3250 with these 168s if it holds accuracy at that speed with the Bergers ill stop there that will keep me well over 2000 fps at 1000yrds and thats exactly what im trying to achieve with this rifle thank you for your input

I'm sure you intended 869. I tried it, tried it, tried it, and will try it again. I could never get the velocity and accuracy I could with other powders. I have some 7mm RM with 162's sitting in the load development pile with it right now. It is available much more than others before and even now.
Thats the one hit a wrong button hehe

Thanks for the feedback guys on another note i hadn't realized until I posted the picture of my rifle how exaggerated the tilt on that scope looks with that 30 moa rail under it
Uh.....didn't notice enough to even cause a thought for me and it's your rifle. Also, you didn't ask for input on that part so the new me will STFU unless asked. Enjoy it and you do you!

Im hearing alot of good stuff abot the US859 powder or i think that is the correct # of it but i have no experience with this powder nor do my reloading guys a father and son ive known for 25+ years but id like to get ahold of some and give it a try

I think it's US869 you're thinking of and it works best with bigger bullets...180+...if I remember correctly.

You can also try some H870 or WC872 also.