7 rum

Lefty7mmstw

Well, I've finally gotten around to replacing the barrel on my shot out 7rum (lh lss). A while back my brother gave me a 8" twist 28" finished + brake Brux chambered in 28 Nosler. I'm having my 'smith shorten it an inch (to clean up the chamber) and chambering to 7rum. We are simply using a standard reamer.
The barreled action should be done in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on opening the inlet on the remmy laminate stock and either free floating or felt bedding it, depending on how much material is left when I get her cut open enough to accept the fatter barrel.

It's not going to be a 7stw ????????

Lol. Good deal, keep us updated on your load development.

The last rifle I had this guy build is my 7stw... I've got a couple hundred 7rum casings that needed to be put to good use ( a couple thousand 7mm bullets too; the stw is picky about what it eats). Heck, I've still got to find a decent scope for the rifle; I gave my kid the Weaver Grand Slam that was on top of it with the last barrel.

Stopped in to see my 'smith today. He has the 7rum back together and only has a couple minor things left before he hands it over to me. He did have to take it back to a bit over 26" plus brake... We'll see soon how this puppy barks.

I bought this rifle used with a rather beat up bore and still got around 400 rounds from it before she started tossing two groups. My first 7rum went about 1,000 rounds at full throttle before she gave up the ghost and she was a bdl.. Depends on how hard you flog the rifle, but 1,200-1,400 rounds before a re-barrel or setback should be doable if you don't get crazy.

she's a tight girl... everything I loaded before was a bit warm pressure wise (couple mild shiners out of ten rounds fired) even though it is mid book stuff so it all got torn down after I got back from the range... On the plus side... 95 grains rl50 with a 168 berger match tossed a .6" group at 100 even with the pressure a bit high. 89 Retumbo and the 180 sierra wasn't as accurate and was also stiff... not sure where to go there as I pretty much wore out the last barrel on retumbo and 180's...
I'm also having an extractor issue; she's failed to pull a couple of casings... never done that before even if it was a stiff test load. I wouldn't doubt she got gummed up sitting for a spell. I did give it a good brushing and hit it with a couple drops of kroil to break up any deposits. Nothing looks worn so I'm not sure what else could be an issue. If all else fails, I'll have a sako extractor put in.

Still having extractor issues. We installed another one last week, and by weekend I had driven the rivet out. The extractor seemed to be a bit overlength and binding. I stoned off a bit of material and the bolt would actually close, but still tore up my case rims. A couple bolt scuffs from the stone later (after continuing to stone it) and I decided to rip extractor number two out... New parts are coming in this weekend and will be installed next week.

Dang...sorry to here about your problems. Nothing worse than being pumped about a rebarrel and then have these minor set backs. I know you, you'll get her figured out and shooting perfect soon. Out of all my rifles, my 7 RUM is still my favorite.

Dang...sorry to here about your problems. Nothing worse than being pumped about a rebarrel and then have these minor set backs. I know you, you'll get her figured out and shooting perfect soon. Out of all my rifles, my 7 RUM is still my favorite.
This one looks great for sure... it should shoot great too... it is showing promise.

I bought this rifle used with a rather beat up bore and still got around 400 rounds from it before she started tossing two groups. My first 7rum went about 1,000 rounds at full throttle before she gave up the ghost and she was a bdl.. Depends on how hard you flog the rifle, but 1,200-1,400 rounds before a re-barrel or setback should be doable if you don't get crazy.
IMO if the barrel is taken care if they all should last that long. 1000 a lot of lead and downed game

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts