7 RUM velocity

Finally fired the rifle today. Shooting conditions were terrible, the wind was blowing very hard . My Retumbo loads performed much better than the H1000 loads . Both shot right at 1" , which isn't bad considering the 30+ mph winds.

The heaviest charge of Retumbo got me 3100 fps with an ES of 9. No pressure signs at all , I'll continue testing this load in better conditions. Hopefully it will be a good combination of accuracy, velocity and brass life. I think I could push it much harder, but I'm not going to.

All 3 different charges of H1000 were under 2900 fps, I'm not going to pursue this powder any longer.

From my experience, which seems to be be different than most folks, H1000 and Retumbo were the worst powders I tried. I know it wasn't my powder lots, because my buddy's .300 WinMag loved the H1000 loads made with the same jugs of powder. But none of my rifles like both H1000 or Retumbo. No idea why, other than some barrels just don't like certain powders. Which sucks, because I still have like 4 lbs. of H1000 unopened sitting on the shelf. I didn't test it in the .300 Ackely...Maybe it will like it?

I have an older Sendero that was originally chambered in stw but re-chambered to rum it was some years ago and that rifle is real finicky about loads, I had the barrel accurized at black star (I said old ) lol i started shooting the 180 vlds and ended up on 92 grains of retumbo at 3.76 col, it shot 3200 fps and would shoot about .750 moa . I ended up moving to the 168 vld and groups on that bullet were about 5/8s. it ended up at 94 grains of retumbo and 3300 fps with the 168s. that is a stiff load but the brass seems to loosen up just a tad right at first and then hang in there and keep on chuggin. right now i am workin on a 7 mm rum i built for the 195 eol. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts