7 rifle golf?

cowboy717

OK I've ran across this wildcat online and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Supposedly it will push the 180 bergers at 3000 fps+ and run out of a short action?

Its a 7mm saum with a 50 degree shoulder and some of the case taper blown out. You will have to modify your magazine length to take full advantage of the case design... I was told by my smith that it would push a 180 vld to 3000 plus... As far as I know he designed the case... Mike

OK that does kinda make sense from the picture I've seen of it. I'm always looking for something new and different but I've only for a rem 700 short action to build on so it's really interesting to me.

If you want you can pm me and I can get you his contact info... He knows a lot more about it than I do... I am building a 6.5ss right now, it fits in a stock un modified sa action and has plenty of punch, I have been thinking the ss case would be a good candidate for a sa 7mm or sa 270... Rich Sherman aka Elkaholic on here would be the man to talk with for that though... Mike

Sort of interesting cartridge but what sticks out in my mind is the name rifle golf.

Could have just as easily named it 7 spoon candle. What am I missing?

Didn't mean to sound like a pr?ck but I didn't realize rifle golf was a sport. At first it just sounded like two random words added together. :)

While I admit that any gun project is fun to do and that is reason enough to do it, I don't quite get this one. The 7 golf doesn't seem to have much of an advantage over a vanilla 7mm WSM. I'm running the 180 Bergers out of mine at 2,950 fps with good accuracy - 26" tube.

While I admit that any gun project is fun to do and that is reason enough to do it, I don't quite get this one. The 7 golf doesn't seem to have much of an advantage over a vanilla 7mm WSM. I'm running the 180 Bergers out of mine at 2,950 fps with good accuracy - 26" tube.

From the research I have done it looks like it will push a 180 vld at the same or slightly higher velocity using 3 to 4 grains less powder... That coupled with a longer neck and 50 degree shoulder it should have better barrel life than the wsm.....
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts