7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

Has anyone sent Brass to Annealing Made Perfect, so they could test it and make the pilots.
I sent test brass to Alex at AMP Annealing, he tested it and posted the machine programs in his settings page. They also made a new pilot #72. This pilot should work for all of the Sherman Short Mags. Graf and Sons will be stocking the pilots

Update:
Thought I would share this with the guys shooting the 7mm Sherman Short Mag.
Builder: Longrifles Inc.
Action: Mausingfield Short Action
Barrel: K&P Remington Varmint Contour, 1:9 Twist, Finished at 24"
Floor Metal: Surgeon w/AI Mags
Stock: Manners EH5 w/LRI Mil STD 1914 rail, LRI Rear Flush Cup
Bedding: LRI Pillar Bedding
Trigger: Jewel
Muffler: TBAC 30 cal Ultra 9
Go to Load,
Brass: Norma 7 Saum by Rich
Bullet: Berger 175 Grain Elite, seated .005" off the lands
Primer: Fed 210M
Powder: Reloder 26, 60.9 gr.
Average Velocity: 3000FPS
Extreme Spread: 9 FPS
Standard Devitation: 5.6 FPS
Brass is annealed every firing with AMP Annealer

Attachments

• IMG_4910.PNG
    IMG_4910.PNG
    276.5 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_4912.JPG
    IMG_4912.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 480
  • IMG_4913.JPG
    IMG_4913.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 479
Update:
Thought I would share this with the guys shooting the 7mm Sherman Short Mag.
Builder: Longrifles Inc.
Action: Mausingfield Short Action
Barrel: K&P Remington Varmint Contour, 1:9 Twist, Finished at 24"
Floor Metal: Surgeon w/AI Mags
Stock: Manners EH5 w/LRI Mil STD 1914 rail, LRI Rear Flush Cup
Bedding: LRI Pillar Bedding
Trigger: Jewel
Muffler: TBAC 30 cal Ultra 9
Go to Load,
Brass: Norma 7 Saum by Rich
Bullet: Berger 175 Grain Elite, seated .005" off the lands
Primer: Fed 210M
Powder: Reloder 26, 60.9 gr.
Average Velocity: 3000FPS
Extreme Spread: 9 FPS
Standard Devitation: 5.6 FPS
Brass is annealed every firing with AMP Annealer

That is some MIGHTY good shooting TY! Are you starting to like it:D

Sorry for dragging up an older post but since there are a few more out now, what's everyone getting performance wise real world numbers? I'm already looking into the 300 ss but in doing research on that I've found this thread. I have been looking at building a 28 nosler but this has my interest piqued a bit more!

For those wondering about barrel life, i'm On my second barrel with the 6.5SS . I ran 140 gr vld, 60 gr N570. It was a mild load that was real easy on the brass. 3168 fps. Accuracy was fantastic till the end. It was tumbling bullets at 1700 rounds down the tube. The barrel was a RKS (Ron smith) made cut rifled barrel with 1:16-1:8 gain twist.

For those wondering about barrel life, i'm On my second barrel with the 6.5SS . I ran 140 gr vld, 60 gr N570. It was a mild load that was real easy on the brass. 3168 fps. Accuracy was fantastic till the end. It was tumbling bullets at 1700 rounds down the tube. The barrel was a RKS (Ron smith) made cut rifled barrel with 1:16-1:8 gain twist.

This is good info, thanks!

I am running 147's @ 3240fps and 60.5 N570 with a Nitrited 30" barrel. This lil gun is a shooter.

Ray

Verry interested in this cartridge.
I have a stainless Rem 700 7mm RM that needs a new barrel. I have been thinking about the 7mm saum in the long action to be able to cycle the heavier bullet options.
If I were to go with the 7mm SS, would the long action be an issue? Meaning feeding issues. Should I look for a short action to build? Not interested in a det. mag.
Thanks in advance.

I am not sure anyone has built one on a long action other than a Tikka, which is kind of in between. You may need some work on the feed rails, etc. I would think it would be similar to building a wsm on a long action though.....rich

I'm curious if you used a different powder how the barrel life would be. I thought I read on this site that Shawn was getting way less barrel life using N570 then other powders. I could be misremembering though also.

I tried to make H1000 work because it's supposed to be a barrel friendly powder. But I never got the accuracy. And accuracy was my main goal. I'm curious how RL26 works out in comparison.