7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

Hey Rich, what sort of speeds could I expect with Nosler's 140gr ABs for on game performance at <500 yards and BTs for cheaper shooting at the range.
I love the idea of Berger 180s at 3000' for shooting at distance but BTs are a more affordable option for trigger time.

Hey Rich, what sort of speeds could I expect with Nosler's 140gr ABs for on game performance at <500 yards and BTs for cheaper shooting at the range.
I love the idea of Berger 180s at 3000' for shooting at distance but BTs are a more affordable option for trigger time.

I have never shot lighter than the 168 Berger, but they will reach 3200'. I don't think it would be a stretch to think 3400' would be doable.......Rich

I have never shot lighter than the 168 Berger, but they will reach 3200'. I don't think it would be a stretch to think 3400' would be doable.......Rich

Good lord! That is screaming along! Even with my shorter 23" barrel? 3300' would be fantastic!

good lord! That is screaming along! Even with my shorter 23" barrel? 3300' would be fantastic!

i do not have much doubt about 3300' even with that barrel.We get 3300' with 140's in the 6.5 with a 26" barrel so even though you only have a 23", you are pushing against .020" larger base to shoot the same weight bullet. Another way to look at it is if you look at the difference in velocity in a 168 and a 140 in the 7 SAUM, you will find it is 250-300' and we know we can get 3200 with the 168 in the SS ......rich

Last edited:
Has anyone run the Barnes LRX 145gr bullets out of this setup as an all around big game hammer?
Should even be a serious contender for elk even out to 600 yards with a MV of 3200.

A couple of questions:
1) How would you expect the 7 SS to perform out of a shorter barrel, say 20"? I'm considering a build with a short barrel so that it's not outrageously long when I hang a can on the end.
2) Are dies currently available, and if not, will they be at some point in the future?

A couple of questions:
1) How would you expect the 7 SS to perform out of a shorter barrel, say 20"? I'm considering a build with a short barrel so that it's not outrageously long when I hang a can on the end.
2) Are dies currently available, and if not, will they be at some point in the future?

Dies and reamer in stock. I have reached close to 3100' with a 26" barrel and 180 Bergers. You will lose approx. 22' per inch of barrel length.....Rich

Elkaholic, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. Please contact me. Thanks

Here is an update on the little cartridge that CAN! I shot some 195 eol's, and continue to be amazed. I told people early on that this case was not really meant for bullets that heavy. Guess what? I shot some with good accuracy at 2955' out of my 26" barrel with a coal of 2.930". It is capable of cracking 3000', but would be hard on brass at that speed......Rich

Here is an update on the little cartridge that CAN! I shot some 195 eol's, and continue to be amazed. I told people early on that this case was not really meant for bullets that heavy. Guess what? I shot some with good accuracy at 2955' out of my 26" barrel with a coal of 2.930". It is capable of cracking 3000', but would be hard on brass at that speed......Rich

I'm guessing I could run around 2900' with my 23", what do you figure?

Rich,
You tried the 175 ELD-x with the 7ss yet?
Interested to to see the results. All the 284 bores I have tried it on so far is impressive.

Recent Posts