7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

I just didn't know if the 1:8 was too fast for them. That's about the lightest/shortest cup and core I plan on shooting. I know they won't explode but I didn't know if the groups would start to grow.

How are 175 Extreme Hunters and 180 Hybrids with the 1:8?

I can also do a 1:8.25" since it's a custom.

@elkaholic would the 184 Berger Hybrids work well at 2.94" COAL or less with the standard reamer?
I dont have the exact data on the 184 but they would fit with the std reamer although you would have some of the bearing surface below the neck. Not a huge deal but most run more FB if you plan on the 184 as your primary bullet.

It sounds like I should pass on the 184s I found in stock then, and hold out for the 180s. There is almost no difference in ballistics out to a mile as far as I can tell. Just trying to source components and it's hard finding the 180s right now.

I really see no reason they wouldn't. I'm shooting the 175's in a 8.5 twist Benchmark CF bbl and they shoot as good.
I am running the 175EH out of an 1:8.44 proof at ~3030FPS and the rifle feels like it is on autopilot. Also cannot see a reason why a 1.8 wouldn't net similar results. As far as the magazine goes, I am running an accurate WSSM center feed mag with no issues. This cartridge is super easy load-develop. I have 180s and 195s to try but never got past the 175s because they shoot so **** good.

I am running the 175EH out of an 1:8.44 proof at ~3030FPS and the rifle feels like it is on autopilot. Also cannot see a reason why a 1.8 wouldn't net similar results. As far as the magazine goes, I am running an accurate WSSM center feed mag with no issues. This cartridge is super easy load-develop. I have 180s and 195s to try but never got past the 175s because they shoot so **** good.
They hammer in mine as well.

I'll just go with the 1:8.5 twist since it sounds like the Berger 180 Hybrid Target, 175 EH, and 155gr Hammer Hunter bullets are what most people end up using when magazine length limited (2.960 COAL). That twist rates keeps them all in the 1.5- low 2s SG range for everything from 20F @ sea level to 80F @ 7000ft one might find out in Colorado during the summer. Thank you all for the input! I'd go 1:8 if I was in a XM or long action and running the heavier bullets. Having good real world feedback was enormously helpful.

Last edited:
How are 175 Extreme Hunters and 180 Hybrids with the 1:8?

I can also do a 1:8.25" since it's a custom.

@elkaholic would the 184 Berger Hybrids work well at 2.94" COAL or less with the standard reamer?
I have 8t on my blaser and during load development at 500 yd I shot 175, 180, 184, and 195. They all shot similar groups.

To the guys running the 7ss, what's your feed setup? Cfe wyatt's box, bdl rails, aics mag? I would like the most reliable smoothest feed possible and think a cfe5 box would prob be best option. I'm going to do a 7mm build and if I can get 175 bergers at 3000 with a 26" 7SS w/ H1000 I'll probably go this route.

To the guys running the 7ss, what's your feed setup? Cfe wyatt's box, bdl rails, aics mag? I would like the most reliable smoothest feed possible and think a cfe5 box would prob be best option. I'm going to do a 7mm build and if I can get 175 bergers at 3000 with a 26" 7SS w/ H1000 I'll probably go this route.
Hawkins hunter M5 w flush mount mags. Should feed fine with BDL setup w regular wsm window box. I'm not a fan of the centerfeeds. Some stocks allow for 3 down but most don't from what I've seen

I use Hawkins M5 DBM, with a 300 wsm accurate mag. I had to tweak the feed lips but it feeds great