7 mm mag twist rate and 168s

LaHunter

I have a M700 7mm rem mag with a Krieger barrel on it. The rifling twist rate is 1:9.5". I have tried to get my rifle to shoot the new ABLR 168 grain bullets without success. The groups that I get at 200 yards are pretty erratic (1 moa up to 2+ moa). I have tried seating depths from touching to .05" jump with no success. I am wandering if my rifling rate of twist is not quite fast enough?? I would like to get some opinions from those of you with experience shooting 168s and what rifling twist rate you have used. Also, my rifle shoots the AB 160s great with IMR 7828 at 66.5 grains, which pushes the bullets at 3100 fps. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

I shoot the 168gr ABLR's in a 1:9 barrel with no issues.....I think your 1:9.5 should be fine too.

Your groups at 200 yards don't sound bad.....maybe it's you??

If your bullets aren't key-holing through the target the twist is adequate.

Maybe the gun just doesn't shoot that bullet good?

La, tried the AB in two 7RM with three powders without much success. The 168 Berger was a different story with both having 1:9.25 twist Rem 700 factory barrel using H4831SC which may work for you or not. Your rifle with 1:9.5 should be fine with the Berger per their site 1:10 is max. There is no perfect load to fit all rifles, it's just physics. You may have best results with a different bullet, different powder and different seating depth than someone posts. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts