7 PRC twist rate ?

Varmint Hunter

I decided to have one of my custom rifles rebarreled in 7PRC. I really don't need a 7PRC because I've already got all the bases covered but, like many of you, I'm hopelessly addicted to our sport.

I know that the Berger 180 will stabilize in a 9" twist and I noticed that Berger recommends a "9" or faster" twist for their 195EOL. I doubt that I'll be shooting anything heavier than the 180 but don't want to sell myself short. On the other hand, I don't like over-twisting a barrel either.

I noticed that some early 7PRC rifles are using an 8 twist. I'd prefer a Bartlein 8.5 twist. Any reason to reconsider?

I decided to have one of my custom rifles rebarreled in 7PRC. I really don't need a 7PRC because I've already got all the bases covered but, like many of you, I'm hopelessly addicted to our sport.

I know that the Berger 180 will stabilize in a 9" twist and I noticed that Berger recommends a "9" or faster" twist for their 195EOL. I doubt that I'll be shooting anything heavier than the 180 but don't want to sell myself short. On the other hand, I don't like over-twisting a barrel either.

I noticed that some early 7PRC rifles are using an 8 twist. I'd prefer a Bartlein 8.5 twist. Any reason to reconsider?
Why not a 8 twist , if that is the recommended twist I would stay with that . In the future lead bullets could be prohibited in your state and at least you could shoot the monos in the heavier weights if so desired . A minimum of 1-9 in any 7 mm , my opinion 1-8 would cover everything.

I would prefer a 1x8 twist, all bases are covered that way. I never go minimum on the twist rates. My two cents.

8 twist. Also take a look at the throating of the 7 PRC reamer you may want to adjust that to optimize for the 180 Berger's.

In 2016 I had my 28 Nosler built and was planning to use Berger 195, at that time the recommended twist was 1-8, I went with the 8 twist and am very happy I did. Last year short supplies made me head over to Hammer, they are always in stock and require the faster twist. The only issue I could see with a 1-8 is shooting the light weight cup and core and launching them to fast to cause them to disintegrate in flight.

I would go 8". I went 8 with my custom 7RM last year and have no regrets. It shoots great with the 160 tsx; but i can also shoo the 169 hammer hunters or the 172 absolutes, and if i wanted the 168 LRX i'm covered there too.