7-300 wins the 1100 yard match!

+1 on the straight 284. I shot a 29" straight 284 with 183 SMK for a couple years and just didn't have time to keep going. Don't sleep on the Sierra! Great bullet. I had them going 2970 FPS with a single digit ES
9F12D1EC-5D4B-4881-884E-05D7E18E3105.png

Great job! 7 SAUM with a 28"+ long barrel will make 3000 fps. I run the Berger 175's out of my 26" 7 SAUM at just over 2950 and don't have pressure signs, the brass is holding up great. 284 or 284 shehane with a 28" will get you close to those speeds too. All three burn a fair bit less powder than the 7-300

Great job! 7 SAUM with a 28"+ long barrel will make 3000 fps. I run the Berger 175's out of my 26" 7 SAUM at just over 2950 and don't have pressure signs, the brass is holding up great. 284 or 284 shehane with a 28" will get you close to those speeds too. All three burn a fair bit less powder than the 7-300
What type of matches are you running your 7 SAUM in? There's so many different types that it gets confusing for a novice shooter to decide what rifle he needs or would work good for a given type of match.

Rl23 with a very long throat. I could find the notes on that rifle if I dig through the safe
Not necessary but curious about your powder choice. I ran the H4831sc for years with slower speeds than I liked. Accuracy was great but wanted around 2900. Couldn't get past 2800 +/-. Been using RL23 in my 22-250 AI with great results. May try it in my Short action 284 and see how it does. Thanks. John.

What type of matches are you running your 7 SAUM in? There's so many different types that it gets confusing for a novice shooter to decide what rifle he needs or would work good for a given type of match.
I'm not running my 7 SAUM in competition although I wouldn't hesitate to. It's a hunting rig in a HS Precision stock, stiller predator long action and Benchmark Varmint/Sendero 8 twist 26" barrel

I'm not running my 7 SAUM in competition although I wouldn't hesitate to. It's a hunting rig in a HS Precision stock, stiller predator long action and Benchmark Varmint/Sendero 8 twist 26" barrel
What kind of competition would you run it in? Straight prs? F class? I'm still not sure on the differences between all the different ones. Sorry for hijacking the thread also

Well I ended up taking 1st place in the shoot! It was in 4 different stages from 200-1100 yards. Was a dang good time with a bunch of great guys. Definitely be doing it again. I do think I need a different caliber though, 7-10 shot strings in 3 and 4 minutes on a 7-300 win mag gets the barrel SMOKING HOT, literally could smell the steel, and fry bacon and eggs on my barrel... I bet my throat didnt like it much either. But the heavy 9 twist Bartlein just kept drilling! So now I'm contemplating what to build for these type shoots...Cause at this rate my 7-300 will be toast in a year haha. But I tell you what, those 180g ELDMs at 3000fps sure sliced through the little wind that we had. I did not touch my windage once, which was pretty cool, because all the 6.5 CM guys were putting 2-3 MOA at 1000-1100 lol. 2nd place was a 2 way tie, and I only beat them by 2 hits, I believe both were shooting 6.5 CMs.
If you really want advice, in your opinion what actually won the match. Was it you, or the gun, I understand it was a combo, but favor one or the other here.
You say little wind, little wind here is 10mph, be more specific so we know what you were up against.
Guys win PRS matches to farther than 1100 with 6 Dashers and 6 BRA's, not a fair comparison, but they do get hits farther out, even thought the bulk of the shooting much closer.
I am not trying to be a dick here, just saying the indian has more to do with it than the arrow. I see 6mm's out shoot 6'5's weekly, also see 6mm's running 2900 out shoot bigger 6mm's running 3100 with the same bullet weekly.
See where I going here? 2-3 moa wind is nothing for a hold. Pick a decent case and learn to master it. Something where 10 rd strings wont send it to it's grave, and save that WSM for 25mph wind days, because I am sure you see that in OR too. The most powerful rd used does not guarantee victory, being a better shooter shifts odds in your favor.

Not necessary but curious about your powder choice. I ran the H4831sc for years with slower speeds than I liked. Accuracy was great but wanted around 2900. Couldn't get past 2800 +/-. Been using RL23 in my 22-250 AI with great results. May try it in my Short action 284 and see how it does. Thanks. John.
I I had a long action with a slower twist than Sierra recommends for the 183 but it did very well. I was in the 3.050" OAL neighborhood I believe and it was with a 29" tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.