7-300 wins the 1100 yard match!

I also second a 7SS or 7 SAUM / improved variant. I shot a .284 in F-class for 2 years and find them finicky on the tune unless you run a 180 Berger Hybrid. The current push is the .300 WSM but all my friends that shoot them get recoil/percussion fatigue over long matches. I recently converted my rifle to a 7SS and find it is an easy cartridge to tune (as with the 7 SAUM/variants) and have been making great progress on getting 190 Berger LRH's and Hornady 190 A-tips to group well. The windage advantage on the A-tip running a modest 2700fps will shoot well inside a .30 cal 215 Berger hybrid at the usual 2820-2850fps used by my competitors. For a match with limited wind indicators (unlike F-class where we usually have plenty of flags along the range) the high bc 7mm bullets are outstanding. However, I could not get them to group well enough to use my .284. Now that I have the 7SS that has changed. The recoil is not much more than my .284/184 Berger hybrid at 2840fps and very manageable.

This was not a PRS match, or Fclass, or any other type of sanctioned match. It was just a friendly local type match that anyone is welcome to, I drove 3 hours to it, so I was the out of towner that showed up, used to shoot various size steel targets from a bench between 200 and 1100 yards, and they were timed stages between 3 and 4 minutes, between 7 and 10 shots at each stage, there was 4 stages for a total of 34 shots. 1 shot at each target, and 1 hit is 1 point. We had spotters. You could shoot from a bench with a bipod, or front rest, and a rear bag. I chose a BR bipod and a rear bag since thats how I shoot, practice, and hunt, minus the rear bag. I usually shoot laying prone at my range, but everyone else was using a bench so I figured I would to. One of the stages was that you had to shoot left handed if you were righty, just to throw a mix into things. That was tough! To get a good cheek weld and sight picture left handed for me, I went 6 for 7, dropped the first shot and connected on the next 6. I was very appreciative of my 16# braked rifle because I basically let her free recoil because I have muscle memory or practice left handed. Totally different set of muscles and muscle memory there. The other 2 shots I missed were my fault at 1100 yards, I went 1 for 3. I didnt shoot my rifle/load at 1100 and confirm my drop chart. I figured since it was dead nuts at 1K, it would be very close to 1100, but I was about 1.5 MOA low for whatever reason. So that's my fault, not the rifles. I fully believe had I confirmed my 1100 yard dope at home, I wouldve went 31 of 34 that day. The only other 2 misses i had were at the last stage at 450 yards, which was 10 shots on 5 different size targets, going from larger to smaller, and then repeated that, we had 4 minutes. Well the last target was a small 2" plate and I missed that one both times on shot #5 and shot #10 just left edge. By shot #8 my barrel was so dang hot, you could see smoke and smell the steel so I knew I wasn't going to hit that little 2" plate on my last shot. I ended up going 29 for 34 on the day, and the 2nd place guys was a 2 way tie at 27 of 34 hits. There were a few wind flags along the way, but the wind was only 5mph or so most of the time throughout the range, that's why I wasn't to worried about it. I'm use to shooting in 10-20mph winds at home. It was a pretty relaxed formal, but informal shoot if that makes sense. Mainly just a bunch of older guys that get together, who BS, talk $hiit and like to shoot. I'm still thinking of a straight 284 or a 280 remington with a 28" tube, a brake, a heavy 8 twist Bartlein and 180g ELDMs around the 2800-2900fps mark. Thanks for the kind words and all the insight on calibers, but I'm pretty set in 7mms. In my opinion you just cant beat them unless you get into the super big 30s and 33s, which then you're dealing with 2-3x the recoil and half the barrel life, so again not really worth it only shooting out to 1000-1200 yards.

Last edited:
This was not a PRS match, or Fclass, or any other type of sanctioned match. It was just a friendly local type match that anyone is welcome to, I drove 3 hours to it, so I was the out of towner that showed up, used to shoot various size steel targets from a bench between 200 and 1100 yards, and they were timed stages between 3 and 4 minutes, between 7 and 10 shots at each stage, there was 4 stages for a total of 34 shots. 1 shot at each target, and 1 hit is 1 point. We had spotters. You could shoot from a bench with a bipod, or front rest, and a rear bag. I chose a BR bipod and a rear bag since thats how I shoot, practice, and hunt, minus the rear bag. I usually shoot laying prone at my range, but everyone else was using a bench so I figured I would to. One of the stages was that you had to shoot left handed if you were righty, just to throw a mix into things. That was tough! To get a good cheek weld and sight picture left handed for me, I went 6 for 7, dropped the first shot and connected on the next 6. I was very appreciative of my 16# braked rifle because I basically let her free recoil because I have muscle memory or practice left handed. Totally different set of muscles and muscle memory there. The other 2 shots I missed were my fault at 1100 yards, I went 1 for 3. I didnt shoot my rifle/load at 1100 and confirm my drop chart. I figured since it was dead nuts at 1K, it would be very close to 1100, but I was about 1.5 MOA low for whatever reason. So that's my fault, not the rifles. I fully believe had I confirmed my 1100 yard dope at home, I wouldve went 31 of 34 that day. The only other 2 misses i had were at the last stage, which was 10 shots on 5 different size targets, going from larger to smaller, and then repeated that, had 4 minutes. Well the last target was a small 2" plate and I missed that both times on shot #5 and shot #10 just left edge. By shot #8 my barrel was so dang hot, you could see smoke and smell the steel so I knew I wasn't going to hit that little 2" plate on my last shot. I ended up going 29 for 34 on the day, and the 2nd place guys was a 2 way tie at 27 of 34 hits. There were a few wind flags along the way, but the wind was only 5mph or so most of the time throughout the range, that's why I wasn't to worried about it. I'm use to shooting in 10-20mph winds at home. It was a pretty relaxed formal, but informal shoot if that makes sense. Mainly just a bunch of older guys that get together, who BS, talk $hiit and like to shoot. I'm still thinking of a straight 284 or a 280 remington with a 28" tube, a brake, a heavy 8 twist Bartlein and 180g ELDMs around the 2800-2900fps mark. Thanks for the kind words and all the insight on calibers, but I'm pretty set in 7mms. In my opinion you just cant beat them unless you get into the super big 30s and 33s, which then you're dealing with 2-3x the recoil and half the barrel life, so again not really worth it only shooting out to 1000-1200 yards.
One other piece of advice I would offer because competing can become addicting, check out what other kind of matches are around ur area and what else you might be interested in competing in so you can match ur build to what type of shooting. 7mm is a good caliber to be using for any of them though

Yah it is! I've refrained from doing any type of LR events because I havea bit of social anxiety, and being around crowds of people just makes me super nervous. The first 2 stages I was very nervous and just not myself at all. The last 2 stages I finally started to settle down and talk to a couple guys that were in my group. Everyone was super nice and helpful so that did help as well. I'm the type of person that just likes to be left alone and do his own thing on his own time and pace, so it was a totally different atmosphere, fun, but different! I'd say I'm pretty hooked and already looking into other shoots in my area. Already thinking of another build specifically for competition shoots so I can save my barrel on my LRH 7-300 mag. I bet those 34 shots sunday did more damage to my throat, then the previous 250 Ive put down it in 6 years hahaha. Usually I only shoot a 3 shot group in about 3 minutes and let it cool all the way down. I mean for hunting I rarely need more than 1 or 2 shots so, I was kinda bummed about putting 8 and 10 shots down it in 3 and 4 minutes, I knew it was going to be super hard on my barrel, but it paid off and I came home with the W so I cant be to upset about it I guess. Everyone threw $20 in the pot, was only like 12 guys there, and I walked away with $80. Mainly just for fun, and it was a good time. They have about 4 or 5 of them a year, so I'll definitely be seeing them again!

The 180 eld is my all time favorite bullet. I shoot it in two 7mm Rem mags & an STW. The stw pushes it to around 3180. No worries about the wind. Even at 2800 fps the 180 eld beats the 6.5 147 eld @ 3150 out of my saum as far as the wind is concerned. Great job. Awesome rifle you've got.

The 180 eld is my all time favorite bullet. I shoot it in two 7mm Rem mags & an STW. The stw pushes it to around 3180. No worries about the wind. Even at 2800 fps the 180 eld beats the 6.5 147 eld @ 3150 out of my saum as far as the wind is concerned. Great job. Awesome rifle you've got.
May I ask what your load data is for the 7mm stw and eld?

May I ask what your load data is for the 7mm stw and eld?
28" barrel: 80.4 grains of N570 in Nosler brass with a 215 federal gold medal match primer. I have .219" freebore and load the round to around 3.825 long or so, can't remember for sure but I'm over 3.8" long. I'm somewhere between .007"-.010" off of the lands but the 180eld will also shoot well in some situations .047-.050 and even at .060" off the lands

28" barrel: 80.4 grains of N570 in Nosler brass with a 215 federal gold medal match primer. I have .219" freebore and load the round to around 3.825 long or so, can't remember for sure but I'm over 3.8" long. I'm somewhere between .007"-.010" off of the lands but the 180eld will also shoot well in some situations .047-.050 and even at .060" off the lands
I've got a .040 jump with 180 eldm in a 7wsm started at 2975 FPS and in ideal conditions they do 1/4 MOA. Shot multiple groups in the 2-3" range at 874 yards. Excellent bullet.... maybe I'll do an STW next like yours.

I also second a 7SS or 7 SAUM / improved variant. I shot a .284 in F-class for 2 years and find them finicky on the tune unless you run a 180 Berger Hybrid. The current push is the .300 WSM but all my friends that shoot them get recoil/percussion fatigue over long matches. I recently converted my rifle to a 7SS and find it is an easy cartridge to tune (as with the 7 SAUM/variants) and have been making great progress on getting 190 Berger LRH's and Hornady 190 A-tips to group well. The windage advantage on the A-tip running a modest 2700fps will shoot well inside a .30 cal 215 Berger hybrid at the usual 2820-2850fps used by my competitors. For a match with limited wind indicators (unlike F-class where we usually have plenty of flags along the range) the high bc 7mm bullets are outstanding. However, I could not get them to group well enough to use my .284. Now that I have the 7SS that has changed. The recoil is not much more than my .284/184 Berger hybrid at 2840fps and very manageable.
I've got all the parts for a rifle except the barrel. I'm probably going to go with a 7 sst just because I only have a 2.865" long mag and can't go with a Wyatt's. I could modify the mag for about 2.905 long. What does your over all length end up being with a 180 in your 7ss?

Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.