300 SS scores back to back 1100 yards+

Thats pretty wild. Have you contacted them to see whats going on and if the change is here to stay?

How about your dope? Did you have the change your BC?
Agree. I hope Hornady makes it known that they've revised this bullet.

Dang, that is basically a different bullet. Enough so that if they had made an Amax in that weight that I would have been suspicious. I've heard guys say that you may have to refine a load when going from one lot of a component to another (and I've had to do that with H1000 powder) but this is ridiculous.

Dang, that is basically a different bullet. Enough so that if they had made an Amax in that weight that I would have been suspicious. I've heard guys say that you may have to refine a load when going from one lot of a component to another (and I've had to do that with H1000 powder) but this is ridiculous.
Perhaps the big surprise news from Hornady was never about melting plastic tips, but rather reconfigured bullet design?
Yeah, now I get it!

Perhaps the big surprise news from Hornady was never about melting plastic tips, but rather reconfigured bullet design?
Yeah, now I get it!
Reconfigured at will?
So there is now a new-new tip as well? Or just a color change?

OP,
Congrats on the hunt.

It was a big surprise to me when I just happened to check and make sure my coal with the new lot was the same. I think I recall hearing the tips of some of the early run infringed on some other companies color so they changed it. I may not be remembering correctly but could be. Seems like going from translucent to solid would change some properties of the plastic for the new color???
I was under the gun to get ammo loaded so I just loaded up all the brass I had formed with my load from the old lot. I checked zero and ran it to 515 on steel from my deck and it all checked out. When I ran the load over the magneto it was 20 fps faster than previous and I could tell a slight increase in pressure signs. I haven't shot it since I've been back but plan to and I will have to drop my charge a couple tenths at least.
I do remember early on they were changing the listed bc a bunch and stated they had some design changes. I'd say by now it should all be the same. My old lot was from an order when they were first released and my new ones were direct from hornady this September.
I should probably check my 208 and 285 eld m from old to new also....

Amazing hunts. I'm not sure I'll ever be good enough to dare to pull the trigger at 1000 yards. That is amazing the animals dropped like they did. How many foot pounds of energy do you think you are delivering at that range?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.