7-300 Norma Mag Improved. IT’S ALIVE!!

Hears one for you. I guy I know over in the eastern side, shot a huge bull with bow.Im trying to recall ,but I believe it was a frontal, single lung hit.They tracked it for over a mile and then lost sign.This bull was on there hit list and the other brothers a guide.The next year, guide brother killed the bull, had the scar tissue at chest, was massive as before, looked like a heifer ,was over 400.
Horrible choice of shot, unfortumately for the bull! Any idea the range of the shot?

Side note, killing elk isn't rocket science you and I have been around more of it than most all the guys on the forums put together.

Pretty simple put a good bullet in a good place and good things will happen (well not for the elk eh)

I've known plenty of elk to head to the deep freeze via 22/250's and Swifts via 55-63 grain CNC bullets.

It's only tough when one chooses to make it such!

Dogs it was a close shot, buried to fletch.Im a long time archer.One friend has taken 11 frontal,20 yrds type.Thats how they come in a lot calling another 6-7.Its not a shot I would recommend but Ive taken when point blank.I also shoot daily.I shot 2 years before without missing a day.I think bears are one of the easiest to kill ,but I've sen them hit and go for miles, just like elk.Ive put arrows threw the blade on both, not on purpose, the bear was a hog type, 7' and I thought I was behind, big crack when I hit, lucky was 20 yard and 74# PSE mach 6.

Dogs it was a close shot, buried to fletch.Im a long time archer.One friend has taken 11 frontal,20 yrds type.Thats how they come in a lot calling another 6-7.Its not a shot I would recommend but Ive taken when point blank.I also shoot daily.I shot 2 years before without missing a day.I think bears are one of the easiest to kill ,but I've sen them hit and go for miles, just like elk.Ive put arrows threw the blade on both, not on purpose, the bear was a hog type, 7' and I thought I was behind, big crack when I hit, lucky was 20 yard and 74# PSE mach 6.
The guy that killed it would have been able to recover the arrow if it was buried to the fletch no? I doubt it would work its way all the back out.

All I'm saying is I've never seen an animal hit with a perfectly placed shot, live, and then be recovered later to CONFIRM it was a perfect hit, and it just so happened to live for some reason.

It's almost always a bad hit, and the shooter thinks it was perfect and can't fathom what went wrong. Only to recover the animal eventually and see it was actually a poor shot. And always unrecovered animals is some lack of performance from a broadhead or bullet or something. Because people can't accept the fact they made a bad shot lol.

I've wounded 3 animals. 1 with a bow and 2 with a rifle. They were all bad hits, with great equipment. Only recovered one of them, to confirm it was in fact a terrible shot, that I initially thought was great. Even radioed my buddy and told him I killed the buck without a doubt. I was wrong lol.

Ive killed 3 bulls total with arrows lodged in them that healed up completely around it. Elk can run on one lung. Ive also ran hounds on many wounded elk to find them miles later on a good lung shot. People that think ell are not that tough typically haven't been on too many elk kills. And not all are ive killed many with 270wsm 140gr accubonds. Seen enough of i wont shoot them with anything under 230 anymore. 99% of time shot placement is good or great no problems. But that 1% i want him hit with a semi. So i shoot a semi

The guy that killed it would have been able to recover the arrow if it was buried to the fletch no? I doubt it would work its way all the back out.

All I'm saying is I've never seen an animal hit with a perfectly placed shot, live, and then be recovered later to CONFIRM it was a perfect hit, and it just so happened to live for some reason.

It's almost always a bad hit, and the shooter thinks it was perfect and can't fathom what went wrong. Only to recover the animal eventually and see it was actually a poor shot. And always unrecovered animals is some lack of performance from a broadhead or bullet or something. Because people can't accept the fact they made a bad shot lol.

I've wounded 3 animals. 1 with a bow and 2 with a rifle. They were all bad hits, with great equipment. Only recovered one of them, to confirm it was in fact a terrible shot, that I initially thought was great. Even radioed my buddy and told him I killed the buck without a doubt. I was wrong lol.
My god someone admitting on here that every shot they take isn't perfect? You're going to break the internet.
rajpal-yadav-rajpal.gif

Ive killed 3 bulls total with arrows lodged in them that healed up completely around it. Elk can run on one lung. Ive also ran hounds on many wounded elk to find them miles later on a good lung shot. People that think ell are not that tough typically haven't been on too many elk kills. And not all are ive killed many with 270wsm 140gr accubonds. Seen enough of i wont shoot them with anything under 230 anymore. 99% of time shot placement is good or great no problems. But that 1% i want him hit with a semi. So i shoot a semi
I've only killed 3 with a bow and 6 with a rifle. One of them I shot square through the ham at 450 yards (long story) Found him 300 yards away dead in his bed in the morning. Bled out from those arteries back there. Just got lucky. The rest have been hit 4" behind the shoulder and died in seconds. That's my only personal experience.

Maybe only been on 20 elk kills total. Every good shot put them down extremely fast. And every poor shot, they went hundreds of yards.

How's that for a kill shot? lol. Bull made it about 400 yards and was dead when we got to him about a 2 hours later. A single arrow with a 2 blade fixed broadhead. Bull was broadside when the shot was taken. That's not a quartering away exit haha
IMG_8926.jpeg

I hear you on how they come in, I'm still not a fan of a frontal. Close range I get it, but I've seen and no of more than a few that archers have pushed the range to 50 and beyond which turned into rodeo's. Some recovered, some recovered where the meat was still good and some that the yotes got.

I've been in and around the taking of elk for 45 years, the number I've seen hit is well into the triple digits with some years the take being into the double digits. (imagine you're in the same boat) what I've learned is if you hit the right (ideally double lung) they're not long for the world be it a arrow, a 22/250, 270, 300 or a 416 Rigby. But if you start the deal off with a poor or border line hit then you're in for a rodeo.

Hit them poorly, push them and they'll run into the next freaking county. And the miles can add up and down several drainages.

I've only killed 3 with a bow and 6 with a rifle. One of them I shot square through the ham at 450 yards (long story) Found him 300 yards away dead in his bed in the morning. Bled out from those arteries back there. Just got lucky. The rest have been hit 4" behind the shoulder and died in seconds. That's my only personal experience.

Maybe only been on 20 elk kills total. Every good shot put them down extremely fast. And every poor shot, they went hundreds of yards.

How's that for a kill shot? lol. Bull made it about 400 yards and was dead when we got to him about a 2 hours later. A single arrow with a 2 blade fixed broadhead. Bull was broadside when the shot was taken. That's not a quartering away exit haha
View attachment 555873
Ive seem exact scenario with rifle artery in ham bull tumbled off hillside from concussion off lapua at 300 yards. Dude jumped up said f ya why you shoot lapua. All of us said ya thats impressive because you shot him in the a**. We thought for sure we were chasing a 3 legged elk. Got over there he was dead about 500 yards straight down canyon.

On flip side ive seen them run with half s heart, half a lung, one lung, half a lung. Id rather put it in boiler room with enough energy too take wind out of there sail

Ive seem exact scenario with rifle artery in ham bull tumbled off hillside from concussion off lapua at 300 yards. Dude jumped up said f ya why you shoot lapua. All of us said ya thats impressive because you shot him in the a**. We thought for sure we were chasing a 3 legged elk. Got over there he was dead about 500 yards straight down canyon.

On flip side ive seen them run with half s heart, half a lung, one lung, half a lung. Id rather put it in boiler room with enough energy too take wind out of there sail
Can't argue with that!

View attachment 555873
Range on that shot? Glad you recovered the bugger.

Side note, one can certainly take down/break down a bull with a shot thru the hips, pelvis or brown eye. Cut that femoral and they won't be long for the world