7-08 loads, New Bergara Ridge

Hey guys, for those still chimed in, had another range session today, used RL17, across the board, in 140, and 150 grain bullets.
The only one that impressed was the 140TTSX. It shot a five shot group, at 150 yds, just over 3/4 inch. That I was charmed with, and almost expected it. I had two loads in 150 Nosler AB, and Sierra SMK. I was getting ejector wipe on bases, and aborted shooting the rest.
The two other 140 class bullets didn't fare so well, either, as I think the seating depth may have been a little long. So, back to the drawing board, and rethink everything. I have some thoughts!

That load works, I shot it today, with 140TTSX. Just over 3/4 inch, at 150 yds. That RL17 has some authority when fired. It even has a different muzzle report. I noticed that when I shot it in my .280 a few years ago! First three in a ragged hole!
Wow that's good. So you used rl 17 in a 280. I'm loading that too. Do you have 7mm 08 too

Wow that's good. So you used rl 17 in a 280. I'm loading that too. Do you have 7mm 08 too
Sadly, I no longer own the .280. It was a great shooter too. This 7-08 is here to stay. Pretty happy with the 140TTSX load yesterday, disappointed in the other loads, but I think I know what the issue was. Senior moment.

I Don't care how good that 140 ttsx shoots I would stay away from it. I put a couple through some deer at 3000 fps in a 7 mag and they ran. Just too dense and zip through. Looked like a bow shot deer on the inside.

I Don't care how good that 140 ttsx shoots I would stay away from it. I put a couple through some deer at 3000 fps in a 7 mag and they ran. Just too dense and zip through. Looked like a bow shot deer on the inside.
I'm with you, in part, as I'm afraid that with the 7-08 velocity, they aren't going to open as I would like. As we've discussed before, the Barnes TTSX, likes to be driven fast, thats where they work best. They did however shoot well, as expected, and what I learned about that was that all of my bullets need to be seated deeper. The TTSX was seated at or about 2.802. All the others were , well let's say longer, ( My bad). I think I'm going to explore some other options, as that does indeed concern me, as far as it OPENING! If I can get the 139 Interlock to shoot, those bullets work. Soft tip and everything. Either way, come deer season, I'll have found something, that flies well, and has good terminal performance. Thanks for chiming in, point taken!

I'm with you, in part, as I'm afraid that with the 7-08 velocity, they aren't going to open as I would like. As we've discussed before, the Barnes TTSX, likes to be driven fast, thats where they work best. They did however shoot well, as expected, and what I learned about that was that all of my bullets need to be seated deeper. The TTSX was seated at or about 2.802. All the others were , well let's say longer, ( My bad). I think I'm going to explore some other options, as that does indeed concern me, as far as it OPENING! If I can get the 139 Interlock to shoot, those bullets work. Soft tip and everything. Either way, come deer season, I'll have found something, that flies well, and has good terminal performance. Thanks for chiming in, point taken!

What other 140gr or 139gr bullets did you try?

Hornady also has the 139gr SST and the Interbond.

From Nosler you can try 140gr Ballistic or CT Ballistic Silvertip, Partition and Accubond.

Sierra has the 140gr Gameking and the Prohunter

Federal has the 140gr Trophy Bonded and the Fusion

I would stay away from Barnes with the 7mm-08 unleas your shooting at close range or try some Hammers.

Have you tried any of the sierra gameking or pro hunter always seem to shoot good when nothing else will

Has anyone tried the 6.5 staball powder with the 140 Berger hvld in 7mm-08?
I haven't tried it with the 140 VLD yet, but I have a solid load worked up for the 150ELDX and ABLR using Staball 6.5. At some point in the near future I will try it with the 140 VLD though. I have a load worked up using 140 VLD and H4350 that I'll compare it to. If I can eek out some more speed and retain accuracy, great.

Love my 7mm08.

i continue to try different bullets and weights, but keep returning to 140s and 150/4s.

140 cup and core Sierras: 47gn IMR4350 will shoot 1/2"groups at 2830fps; H4350 shoots <1" groups for the entire work up range, 49.5 gets me 2880fps and 3/4"; big game can sling them 2900, best accuracy around 47; RL16 amd RL17 also work well in the 2880 range. RL16 and H4350 will be compressed, and will not work well with long bullets and 2.800 OAL (plastics tips eat up space). BG, W760, and RL17 are dense and best for long bullets that eat up case capacity.

150 ELDX and 154SST both shot 3/4" with RL17 at 2770fps.

W760 and RL17 will push a 160 partition an honest 2700fps with 3/4" groups.

I haven't tried it with the 140 VLD yet, but I have a solid load worked up for the 150ELDX and ABLR using Staball 6.5. At some point in the near future I will try it with the 140 VLD though. I have a load worked up using 140 VLD and H4350 that I'll compare it to. If I can eek out some more speed and retain accuracy, great.

Can you share how the accuracy and speed was with the 150ELDX/Staball 6.5 load? Thanks.

What other 140gr or 139gr bullets did you try?

Hornady also has the 139gr SST and the Interbond.

From Nosler you can try 140gr Ballistic or CT Ballistic Silvertip, Partition and Accubond.

Sierra has the 140gr Gameking and the Prohunter

Federal has the 140gr Trophy Bonded and the Fusion

I would stay away from Barnes with the 7mm-08 unleas your shooting at close range or try some Hammers.
I spoke with Steve, last week, and he seems to think the 130 Hunter, would be the trick, with a stiff load of Varget. I know first hand, that those Hammers shoot. Saw a target tonite, shoot from another member on this site, thst were literally the same hole, slightly opened, in 30 caliber.
I do have some of the bullets mentioned, I just need to change my set up a little. Basically, I seated bullets out too far, and was getting pressure signs, my bad, just got ahead of myself. The chamber in this Bergara is tight, and I believe the throat is close as well.
The Hammers are on my radar. Thanks for reply

Have you tried any of the sierra gameking or pro hunter always seem to shoot good when nothing else will
I have 140 ct,140 bt, 139 Interlock. 150 ab.
I like Sierra bullets, have shot quite a few of them over the years. I do have some 150 smk, that I want to play with this summer, shooting steel etc. I'll figure her out!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.