7mm-08 loads?

Deerslayer11

I know it sounds pretty dumb asking for reloads for this, but i cant come up with any good loads. Ill be using it for long range varmints (out to 5-600 yards) and the occasional coyote or deer. Looking for a bullet weight between the 120's and 150's. anything will help. Thanks ~ Jake

I'm doing this from memory since I'm out of town, but here it goes. You should work up you own powder charges anyways, but in my 7-08 I've always started a grain or two below published data. Mine is a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a B&C stock. 22" factory barrel. Win brass for all loads. Primer is Fed 210 currently.

120gr Seirra flat base, H4350, less than 1/2 MOA
130gr Barnes X and 130gr Speer SPBT, Varget, 1/2-3/4 MOA, and near 3000fps
140gr Nosler BT, shot MOA and don't remember powder
162gr Amax, Hybrid 100V, less than 1/2 MOA, SD 5 and ES 4, 2660fps--my current load
168gr Berger VLD hunting, Hybrid 100V, MOA, near 2600fps

I love this cartridge and rifle. It has been my go to gun for quite some time and is my easiest cartridge to load for.

I know it sounds pretty dumb asking for reloads for this, but i cant come up with any good loads. Ill be using it for long range varmints (out to 5-600 yards) and the occasional coyote or deer. Looking for a bullet weight between the 120's and 150's. anything will help. Thanks ~ Jake

If you're looking for good load data check out Nosler's website and click on Load Data, there you'll find some good info for the 7/08.

If you're looking for good load data check out Nosler's website and click on Load Data, there you'll find some good info for the 7/08.

I'm not sure why nosler uses a 26" barrel in there 7-08.
I've had great luck with the 120ttsx and CFE-223 powder or varget . Using the max load of Cfe I was getting around 3175fps. Deer die really fast when hit with one of those. I started out using Big game powder but it is horribly temp sensitive. For the 140 gr and up I would use RL17 powder.

I'm doing this from memory since I'm out of town, but here it goes. You should work up you own powder charges anyways, but in my 7-08 I've always started a grain or two below published data. Mine is a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a B&C stock. 22" factory barrel. Win brass for all loads. Primer is Fed 210 currently.

120gr Seirra flat base, H4350, less than 1/2 MOA
130gr Barnes X and 130gr Speer SPBT, Varget, 1/2-3/4 MOA, and near 3000fps
140gr Nosler BT, shot MOA and don't remember powder
162gr Amax, Hybrid 100V, less than 1/2 MOA, SD 5 and ES 4, 2660fps--my current load
168gr Berger VLD hunting, Hybrid 100V, MOA, near 2600fps

I love this cartridge and rifle. It has been my go to gun for quite some time and is my easiest cartridge to load for.
Is 2600 fps enough for the vld's to expand enough down range? Thanks for the input though!

Is 2600 fps enough for the vld's to expand enough down range? Thanks for the input though!

I only shot one animal with that load. A 200lb whitetail buck. He was hit just behind the shoulder blade and the impact and exit were both 7mm. I only had to track that buck about 200yards, so the bullet did work. Unfortunately I lost his trail that night and had to come back in the morning. The coyotes found him before me... as for how much expansion it had internally, I don't recall. I wasn't pleased enough to use the combination any more. The Amax has shown great expansion at the velocities I'm shooting and better grouping.

In my experience with coyotes, I've never had time to dial in a range correction. So, I'd go with a 120gr loading in the 7-08 near 3100 if it were only for coyotes. Of course, the 120 is still lethal on deer too. I just prefer heavy for caliber the more I do of this lrh

I only shot one animal with that load. A 200lb whitetail buck. He was hit just behind the shoulder blade and the impact and exit were both 7mm. I only had to track that buck about 200yards, so the bullet did work. Unfortunately I lost his trail that night and had to come back in the morning. The coyotes found him before me... as for how much expansion it had internally, I don't recall. I wasn't pleased enough to use the combination any more. The Amax has shown great expansion at the velocities I'm shooting and better grouping.

In my experience with coyotes, I've never had time to dial in a range correction. So, I'd go with a 120gr loading in the 7-08 near 3100 if it were only for coyotes. Of course, the 120 is still lethal on deer too. I just prefer heavy for caliber the more I do of this lrh

alright thank you sir
good luck shootin the biggens!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.