7-08 Help

Looking good. Both of my 7mm-08's like the Balistics Tips at 2.80", so just a bit under max mag lenght. Try the 46.5gr at 2.80 and see what happens.
The 46.5 at 2.80" is what I got the best result with today. It was a little windy. Gonna try 46.3, 46.5, and 46.7 and see if there's any change

The 46.5 at 2.80" is what I got the best result with today. It was a little windy. Gonna try 46.3, 46.5, and 46.7 and see if there's any change

Ok got it. I've been able to go up to 2.82" on both rifles although most of my loads are at 2.80", except one load on my wife's rifle that shoots the 162gr A-Max at 2.82".

Let me know what you find out. Thanks

Ok got it. I've been able to go up to 2.82" on both rifles although most of my loads are at 2.80", except one load on my wife's rifle that shoots the 162gr A-Max at 2.82".

Let me know what you find out. Thanks
46.3 H4350 w/140gr Nosler BT, seated at 2.804 COAL is the winner. .351" 3 shot at 100. 46.5 and 46.7 started to open up.

Attachments

• 60BC21DD-A8A5-4817-8B3F-12C4D041918C.jpeg
    60BC21DD-A8A5-4817-8B3F-12C4D041918C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
I am, but I was thinking it was a 22". I'll check on that 🤔. Also planning to purchase a chrono soon, so I'll get some velocity numbers and let you know

FWIW, I run 162 ELDMs exclusively in my 7mm08. It becomes much more than a whitetail cartridge at that point. Please look at the ballistics pushing it at 2600 to 2700 FPS ( I'm at 2738) makes it lethal out to 850+ ....ask me how I know!

Also look up Nathan Foster's writing on the 7mm08 he really has a lot of knowledge on many calibers and bullet selection.

word of caution : if you go with too fast of a MV ( 280 or 7RM speeds) with that bullet you'll have to let the animal get out about 200 yards or so. At 2600-2700 its good right out the gate.

ps I run 40.6 grains Varget, an OAL of 2.940 with CCI 250s and Lapua brass .3's all day long with an ES 7
What was your measurement increase of seating depth testing to get to 2.940?
I'm thinking of getting the bolt stop upgrade and larger mag for my wife's Tikka.
It's doing moa @ 100yds, would like to see if it can be improved. Also using ELDX 162 with 4166 @ 2600+ fps.
Thanks, really enjoy learning how to improve accuracy from all here who have the experience and knowledge!

I have a 7-08, in a Bergara ridge , that I bought last year, and have had a lot of fun with it. I settled on Varget, or cfe223. The Nosler 120bt, is gonna be hsrd to beat, they re designed that bullet, and a 708 will do it justice. Dont overlook a 120 TTSX, and a upper end load of varget. Nothing carries a ttsx home.
Also, tslk to Steve, at Hammer Bullets. He will set you up with the ultimate in hunting bullets, that wont break the bank. I have aldo done exceptionally well with RL16. Its a fun round to load for, ans will shoot about anything you set into it. Good luck, enjoy.

What was your measurement increase of seating depth testing to get to 2.940?
I'm thinking of getting the bolt stop upgrade and larger mag for my wife's Tikka.
It's doing moa @ 100yds, would like to see if it can be improved. Also using ELDX 162 with 4166 @ 2600+ fps.
Thanks, really enjoy learning how to improve accuracy from all here who have the experience and knowledge!not following your question. Please clarify?
Not following your question about "seating depth" can you please rephrase it?

Also as far as MV for the 162 ELD X. I cannot speak to the "X" I run the 162 "M" and the magic MV for it is 2650ish fps (I am a bit faster than I need to be) I would be sure a 2600 fps MV is adequate for the ELDX? In my opinion, that bullet is a bit tougher than the M and might need a bit more velocity for closer shots on game. If you consult Hornady's recommended MV velocity for that bullet and MV needed at the target for the bullet to perform you should be able to determine what range you can cover with the ELDX.

In my case...I chose the 7mm 162 ELDM at the MV I am running because it makes it capable from 100 yards to out past 850 yards in my 7mm 08 and the performance has been incredible DRT is expected not hoped for.

Last edited:
Not following your question about "seating depth" can you please rephrase it?

Also as far as MV for the 162 ELD X. I cannot speak to the "X" I run the 162 "M" and the magic MV for it is 2650ish fps (I am a bit faster than I need to be) I would be sure a 2600 fps MV is adequate for the ELDX? In my opinion, that bullet is a bit tougher than the M and might need a bit more velocity for closer shots on game. If you consult Hornady's recommended MV velocity for that bullet and MV needed at the target for the bullet to perform you should be able to determine what range you can cover with the ELDX.

In my case...I chose the 7mm 162 ELDM at the MV I am running because it makes it capable from 100 yards to out past 850 yards in my 7mm 08 and the performance has been incredible DRT is expected not hoped for.
Ya, worded that kinda weird.
Did you start at the lands and work your way back to 2.940 OAL?
Thanks for your bullet performance info!

Ya, worded that kinda weird.
Did you start at the lands and work your way back to 2.940 OAL?
Thanks for your bullet performance info!
In essence yes, but I will be more detailed just to be sure we are on the same page. I always start from in the magazine and go as long as possible to establish my OAL and record that CBTO*. If I am having a chamber cut I'll send in a dummy round of that CBTO and ask for a 20K jump to the lands. Obviously, at this point I am already seated as long I can in my mag and playing with seating depths will only increase my jump as I seat the bullet deeper in the case.

However, if your chamber is already cut you don't have that option. But you still need to know your CBTO from a mag length OAL and you still want to know where your lands are. You have two choices to find out where your lands are; you can use an OAL gauge and modified case or field strip your bolt and follow Alex Wheeler's method. I find that his method is more precise than the OAL gauge.

*I should not assume you realize the ogive is different between a 162 ELDM vs a similar weight bullet in say a Berger or Nosler. Which is why you have to use the same bullet when setting all this up.

Hope that clears things up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.