7mm 08 help

ShootnMathews

Ok guys. I'm trying to load for a 20" 1:9.5 twist 7mm-08. It's going to be a hunting gun for sub 600 work. I'm sticking with Nosler Ballistic tips because the have worked great for me for many years in every caliber. If the eldx ever make it to market I might switch to those. Since this is for >600 I wanted 120 BT's but 140 is all I could find. Which will work. I wanted Varget powder since most of the reading I've done recommended it, but I can't find any. I've only got a pound + left for my other guns and don't want to burn it all load working. So. Here is what I do have

140 nosler BT's
H4350

My book shows 4350 with the fastest speed but I don't hear much about people using it.

Does anyone here have any accurate loads for a 20" 7mm08 with H4350 and 140 BT's or accubonds? or am I just wasting bullets to try? Because 100 bullets is all I could find. Reloading stuff here sucks. I don't know if stock will ever replenish.

Shootn, we use H4350 in my grandson's 7-08 through a 22 in barrel with great results. We're loading the 168 gr Bergers for it though. Never tried the 140 or 150 gr. Good luck

Shootn,
I use H4350 in my wife's 7-08 with good results. 20" factory contour and it's a good 1 MOA gun. Using 160 gr Speers though...

Heck, give it a try!

I use H4350 with 140 gr. TSX bullets and it works very well. It is the most accurate powder I have found for this bullet in this rifle.

I have a HS Precision SPL in 7mm-08 with a 24 inch barrel. The accuracy load they used for testing rifle was 48gr. H4350 using 140gr. Nosler BT at 2890fps. This is the load I still use, also use Nosler Accubonds. I have shot it out to 500 yards with .5 moa accuracy. I hope this helps.

I have a HS Precision SPL in 7mm-08 with a 24 inch barrel. The accuracy load they used for testing rifle was 48gr. H4350 using 140gr. Nosler BT at 2890fps. This is the load I still use, also use Nosler Accubonds. I have shot it out to 500 yards with .5 moa accuracy. I hope this helps.
that's awesome. Pretty close to my situation and supplies. Thanks a lot. Have you shot any critters with it?

It'll be a drive, but try Cabelas in Tridelphia, Sportsmens Den in Shelby, OH, or Fin Fur and Feathers in Ashland, OH. Last two have lots of powder at very reasonable prices.

ShootnMathews, in my case like your Varget powder I try not to use my h 4350 in anything because it is dedicated for a 7-08 and some 140 interbonds also looking pretty good with some rl 17 and 140 bal tips and accubonds as backup loads cause of the difficulty getting h4350 and the 140 interbonds , one thing to note is with h 4350 and rl 17 is when you get up too or around max you may be slightly compressing powder , mine seem to like cci lr best for top velocity and real close to the HS precision load witch is likely slightly compressed or just kissin the powder depending on the oal and his velocity is right inline with what I have seen in my 22 in savage factory

ShootnMathews, in my case like your Varget powder I try not to use my h 4350 in anything because it is dedicated for a 7-08 and some 140 interbonds also looking pretty good with some rl 17 and 140 bal tips and accubonds as backup loads cause of the difficulty getting h4350 and the 140 interbonds , one thing to note is with h 4350 and rl 17 is when you get up too or around max you may be slightly compressing powder , mine seem to like cci lr best for top velocity and real close to the HS precision load witch is likely slightly compressed or just kissin the powder depending on the oal and his velocity is right inline with what I have seen in my 22 in savage factory

That's great news. I was pretty frustrated but I'm looking forward to giving it a try now. h4350 is much easier to find than Varget here. My load book show 48 grains as the max and as a compressed load. I'm getting ready to load some now from 46 grains to 48 to find my guns max and look for pressure sign. I always load 2 of each which gives me an idea where to look for my accuracy charge also.

Yes, I have shot several whitetail with Nos. BT and AB out to 200 yards, most drop in their tracks, one ran 30 yards. Shot a mountain caribou in NWT in August at 325 yards, first shot through the heart, shot second insurance shot.

48gr. is compressed, start at 46gr., I'm using Fed. 210 match primers. Nosler, Winchester, and just bought Lapua brass but haven't loaded any yet.

I loaded up a few test groups that I'll try to shoot Sunday. I'll be muzzleloader hunting Saturday. I loaded up the test groups with some once fired hornady brass but I have a brand new box of Lapua brass. I'll use the hornady brass to find a small window near where the gun is starting to shoot well the switch to the Lapua to fine tune my load. Should save a little wear on my good brass. I loaded 2 each from 46-48 grains.

I almost exclusively use nosler BT bullets in all my guns. I have heard people talk about bad experiences with them but I have had nothing but good. Never a single failure and ALL game I've shot are dead in less than a minute. Most run 30 yards or less or just fall down. I only shoot for double lung shots. Thanks again. I'll post results for test shots soon

there is a pretty good chance that the lapua brass will hold less water than some others not sure about hornady or the lapua but I have seen it with win vs ,ppu and, fed, rem vs norma ect.... you could be over pressure going from one too another with top charges same with the cci to the fed primers ect... why I like ccis for the 7-08s I load for I cant get the same vel from fed in mine before pressure signs it is always best to always work it back up when changing anything for safety

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.