7-08 Help

I've heard that vibrating the cartridge case with an electric toothbrush works even better than a drop tube for settling the powder charge. I haven't tried it yet, but for a smallish case like the 7mm-08, it might be worth a try - especially with some of the slower powders discussed in this thread. The main reason lots of guys prefer ball powders in cases of this size is because you can get enough of it in the case to get decent velocities. With vibrating and/or a drop tube, maybe enough of one of the slow burning extruded powders will fit in the case.

I've heard that vibrating the cartridge case with an electric toothbrush works even better than a drop tube for settling the powder charge. I haven't tried it yet, but for a smallish case like the 7mm-08, it might be worth a try - especially with some of the slower powders discussed in this thread. The main reason lots of guys prefer ball powders in cases of this size is because you can get enough of it in the case to get decent velocities. With vibrating and/or a drop tube, maybe enough of one of the slow burning extruded powders will fit in the case.
Will try the tooth brush vibe, thanks.

I use the master funnel set and drop tube from Area 419. It's a nice set! Sinclair offered several as well.

Bob

Today's results. (Part of it anyway, the other part isn't real important). Brought the bullet out to max length that would fit in the mag. I started with 45gr H4350 and worked my way up to 47.5 in .50 increments.

Shooting 140gr Nosler BT

***10mph right to left wind on and off****
tried to time shots between wind gust

46.5 was the sweet spot at .557" 4 shot group.
Had a 5th shot that was a called flinch, which made it right at 1" 5 shot group. The first 4 were all touching.
I'm gonna play in the 46.2-46.8 range and see if it gets better somewhere. If it doesn't, I'm perfectly ok with near .5 MOA out of this setup. Thanks for all the input into this.

I believe it could get a little better on a calm day

Attachments

• 8D99F14A-7C08-4B10-B4FB-6FA915892118.jpeg
    8D99F14A-7C08-4B10-B4FB-6FA915892118.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 69
Today's results. (Part of it anyway, the other part isn't real important). Brought the bullet out to max length that would fit in the mag. I started with 45gr H4350 and worked my way up to 47.5 in .50 increments.

Shooting 140gr Nosler BT

***10mph right to left wind on and off****
tried to time shots between wind gust

46.5 was the sweet spot at .557" 4 shot group.
Had a 5th shot that was a called flinch, which made it right at 1" 5 shot group. The first 4 were all touching.
I'm gonna play in the 46.2-46.8 range and see if it gets better somewhere. If it doesn't, I'm perfectly ok with near .5 MOA out of this setup. Thanks for all the input into this.

I believe it could get a little better on a calm day

Looking good. Both of my 7mm-08's like the Balistics Tips at 2.80", so just a bit under max mag lenght. Try the 46.5gr at 2.80 and see what happens.

Getting ready to start testing for a 22" Remington 700 sporter. This will be my primary whitetail gun. I'm planning to go with 140 gr Nosler BT bullets. Not really sure where to start. I have the following powders- H4350, IMR4350, 7828ssc, H4895. Using Hornady brass and I have F210 primers. Any personal experiences would be appreciated. Thank you
Change the bullet to a 139gr SST and use W760 with a mag primer. Devastating to whitetails. Much better than a BT in this cartridge.

Looking good. Both of my 7mm-08's like the Balistics Tips at 2.80", so just a bit under max mag lenght. Try the 46.5gr at 2.80 and see what happens.
I have the exact rifle you do, the SPS Buckmaster. I will measure the length, but I'd say it's real close to that. They barely clear in the mag. I was pleased with the result. Gonna try a calmer day and play around the 46.5 mark and see what happens. I'm using F210 primers, so may try different primers also

Change the bullet to a 139gr SST and use W760 with a mag primer. Devastating to whitetails. Much better than a BT in this cartridge.
I doubt I'll be changing much at this point. May try the SST again at some point, but I'm well stocked with H4350 and 140 BT's. My end goal with most rifles is .5 moa, and I'm pretty close to that with this load

I have the exact rifle you do, the SPS Buckmaster. I will measure the length, but I'd say it's real close to that. They barely clear in the mag. I was pleased with the result. Gonna try a calmer day and play around the 46.5 mark and see what happens. I'm using F210 primers, so may try different primers also

My groups went from 0.75 to under half inch going from 2.82" to 2.80", just food for thought.

I am using GM210M primers, I tried WLR and Rem 9.5 and the groups opened up

My groups went from 0.75 to under half inch going from 2.82" to 2.80", just food for thought.

I am using GM210M primers, I tried WLR and Rem 9.5 and the groups opened up
Have you tried a magnum primer at all? Like a F215 or CCI 250's?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts