7-08 Ackkey Improved?

MagnumManiac

G'day all.
Been pondering whether to chamber the wife's 7-08 to the Ackley?
I really dislike the 20° shoulder already, so I'm thinking of going to AI to reduce case stretch as the brass has already grown after one sizing.
Apart from the small gain in velocity and reduced case stretching, is it a worthwhile endeavour?
I have a 22-250AI, 257 BobAI and 375 Bee which all need fireforming, as does my 338-416 Rigby Improved, but most of the forming with that is done hydraulically.
So forming cases is no big deal, just wondering if there are any drawbacks to doing so?

Cheers.

No downside. I do well even while fire forming. Here is some LRH info

Thanks guys. I am still torn, the wife is still getting used to not shooting my 18lb 6.5x47, which has very little recoil. The 7-08 is a Rem 700 SPS with the R3 recoil pad, but she is still getting her head around holding the rifle because the 6.5 is used as a free recoil shooting system, you just squeeze the trigger essentially.
She wants to hunt by stalking and this was the only option I could come up with.
So far, as long as she holds the gun tight, she is doing well, but the recoil is still a thing she needs to work on, she doesn't flinch, I tested her on that with me loading the rifle with ammo and sometimes without.
Anyway, I still need some words of encouragement.

Cheers.

Whether you rechamber to the AI, or not, you could always use light for caliber bullets or reduced loads to help manage recoil in the early days of your wife learning to shoot this rifle. Then use the preferred load for hunting.

This is my opinion, YMMV.

I would consider a re-set of the 7mm-08 chamber diameters and headspace to SAAMI minimum, then your brass stretch problem should not be an issue. With powders like RL-17, Staball 6.5 and the like 140gn speeds of 3000ish are possible.

Have you considered rechambering to .284 Win? You will give up 1 round of mag capacity but parts and supplies will be off the shelf and with
RL-26 140gn velocities reach 3200ish.

You have been down the Ackley road before and you know what your getting into with non standardized cartridge and case tolerances. But if you feel the Ackley itch for 7mm-08 I say scratch it.

Whether you rechamber to the AI, or not, you could always use light for caliber bullets or reduced loads to help manage recoil in the early days of your wife learning to shoot this rifle. Then use the preferred load for hunting.
Way ahead of you there, we are using 120g bullets at present, I believe they are youth loads, not 100% sure.

I started her shooting a 10.5lb 25-06, recoil is minimal, and my F-class rig in 6.5x47, no recoil to speak of.
Then I bought her a mint condition first series Sako L461 Vixen in 222. That rifle purchase was a mistake, she wants all rifles to recoil like that now.
Then she wanted to hunt deer, she won't shoot any of my deer rifles, including my switch barrel in 264WM/7STW, it weighs 15lbs and a 29" barrel, recoil is barely noticeable.
So, I'm trying to get her used to a little recoil, the rifle is light, the R3 pad helps but she doesn't hold it tight enough all the time, which is the problem.
I'm hoping the AI can be loaded down even more cuz the sharp shoulder helps with this. I only just borrowed some dies from a member at my club, just a plain vanilla RCBS set to get me started. The cases stretched on the first sizing, which I do not like.

Cheers.

Some thoughts: No big deal on the case stretching to fit the chamber. If you resize minimally the cases should stop stretching. As for a case getting longer with time it is something we all deal with. Trimming doesn't have to happen very often as the end of a typical factory chamber is way out there. Many cases will be worn out with loose primer pockets before the case is too long to hit the end of the chamber. If you don't have a chamber length gauge get one and know the distance to the end of your chamber.

You said you are using a 120 gr bullet. Didn't say which one. IMO the Nosler ballistic tip is a great bullet to use for big game. It has a great track record, is stout, will kill well and almost always exits.

No point in making an improved version if your wife is having issues with recoil now. Sounds like she is having issues dealing with recoil while shooting off the bench. I would suggest you raise the gun height on the bench and if you could a bench that allows standing would be even better. Another aide: get a slip on pad, or even a towel between the recoil pad and her shoulder.

Here are a few pads:

Without touching the recoil issue, I can lend this about the AI.

I had my 257bob rebarreled and AI'd. I love it. I wasn't excited about the fire forming but it wasn't a hassle. Since you are forming hydraulically it's even easier. I really like the bump in performance I have seen also. If I had to decide to do it over again I would.

I should put my glasses on, the factory ammo I've been using for the wife are Rem 140g Core Lokts, not 120g.
The box of bullets I have are 120g Ballistic Tips, haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, only just loaded them up and we're still in lockdown.
Anyway, doesn't like like I can get dies for the Ackley and still can't get the dies I want for the 7-08 anyway. I can get a set of RCBS, but I prefer Redding deluxe sets normally.
The rifle doesn't hurt her, need to make this clear, what she doesn't like is the muzzle jump because the scope has touched her face, no injury, just a light touch. Due to her not holding the rifle firm.
We will work on all these factors once we can get out and shoot again….still don't know when that will be.

Cheers.

G'day all.
Been pondering whether to chamber the wife's 7-08 to the Ackley?
I really dislike the 20° shoulder already, so I'm thinking of going to AI to reduce case stretch as the brass has already grown after one sizing.
Apart from the small gain in velocity and reduced case stretching, is it a worthwhile endeavour?
I have a 22-250AI, 257 BobAI and 375 Bee which all need fireforming, as does my 338-416 Rigby Improved, but most of the forming with that is done hydraulically.
So forming cases is no big deal, just wondering if there are any drawbacks to doing so?

Cheers.
I had a 7-08AI loved it. Only issue it had was feeding. Gonging steel was great, but not reliable enough as a hunting rifle. I did hunt with it, but was always concerned if it was going to malfunction. I harvested 1/2 dozen animals with it and sold it. Thankfully I never needed to make a 2nd shot.

I've always had to order and wait for 7-08ai dies. I'm a fan of the ackley and especially when trying to make up speed for shortening the barrel.

I've got an TC encore 7-08ai that was cut to 16" and threaded. It's the one rifle that seems to make the hunting trip more than others. It's just so handy. Oh and I'm running the 120 ballistic tips at 2960 from that short barrel and it's let the air off of it's fair share.

If you're going to pull the barrel why not just rebarrel instead of rechamber.. A 6 creed or .243 might be more to her liking..
For deer to 300 yards or so the 6's work well. And no potential feeding issues..

I have done a couple of 7-08 Ackleys and saw very little in performance gain over the standard version. Coupled with those pesky feed problems I'd say no. I won't do that one again and I like Ackleys, have several of them..