6mm ?

Do you need a short or long action for a 6MM AI?

kinda depends on the brand of action. A Remington 700 is really too short for one unless you single shot it. A Savage is about .150" longer and works better, and their single shot action will work very well. Winchester is about .100" longer, and it might work. I now little about the others in action length. Most any long action will work nicely as well. Alot of this depends on the loaded overall length you want to use, but as I said a long action will always work.
gary

kinda depends on the brand of action. A Remington 700 is really too short for one unless you single shot it. A Savage is about .150" longer and works better, and their single shot action will work very well. Winchester is about .100" longer, and it might work. I now little about the others in action length. Most any long action will work nicely as well. Alot of this depends on the loaded overall length you want to use, but as I said a long action will always work.
gary

Gary is right on in his response. I shoot several 6mm Remingtons and the Winchester short action is right at .300 in the magazine box, and the Ruger Hawkeye or MKII is just a bit shorter, but still longer than the Remington. In my son's Ruger MKII I have the 90 gr. Nosler E-tips seated at 2.840 which works perfectly with that bullet and load and there's room to seat it out further if I needed to to make it shoot or to give a little more powder space. That would never work in the Remington short actions.

A long action would not be overly long that it would not look right or work well either.

David

Ok. Thanks guys. I plan to use a REM 700 action so I guess it'll a L.A. My oldest brother has a REM. 25.06 he hasn't shot in over 25 years! Guess we'll have to haggle a little bit harder on the price. He wants $450 I'm offering $350. I know it's a good price (his) but...After all what is thicker than blood!!

This is what I don't like about a 6mm Remington, short actions too short and long actions too long. If I was using a 25-06 donor rifle, I'd build some version of the 6mm-06.

I built mine using the Rem 700 long action. My donor was a 270 Win originally. It is long enough that I can seat Berger 95g VLD's the length of the neck and still fit in the action, thus maximizing the powder capacity. Couldn't come close to that with a short action.

This is what I don't like about a 6mm Remington, short actions too short and long actions too long. If I was using a 25-06 donor rifle, I'd build some version of the 6mm-06.

that's only true if your stuck with a Remington. The Savage short action will easilly cycle a 57mm case length. The Remington will as well, as long as the bullets are not very long or the bullets are pushed back into the case a good bit. The ideal action length was the old Savage "mid length" action that was sorta between the two. With advent of the new and long 105 grain + VLD's the long actions are starting to become a needed thing, but that old mid length action would have been perfect.

All you Tika guys need to chime in here as it would be interesting to know how their action lengths compair with the Remingtons. I'd think the Howas are pretty much the same length as a Remington.
gary

It's true with a lot of actions other than Remington.

Remingtons are too short when looking at their short actions. Best with a 47mm case length and shorter. Dosn't make them bad or anything, but it's just the nature of the beast. A Winchester short action and the 51mm case were made for each other, and that extra .100" shows it. Why Savage arrived on the extra .150" (maybe a little more), I don't know. But a 6mm/.257 roberts case cycles thru the perfectly
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.