6mm ARC

I've got a 6 ARC gas gun I've messed with quite a bit for reloading. Best powders so far are A2520, and LVR. I've also shot CFE 223 in it with decent results. Others I've tried are Varget, BL-C2, and RL-15. I have XBR 8208 and StaBALL Match I've yet to try.

My 6arc gas gun has been a bit disappointing. Running a JP high pressure bolt and a proof barrel. I'm running a 20" proof barrel. With Varget and vv540 and the 108, as soon as I got close to 2600, I was getting pressure and over 2600 I blew or pierced primers. I ended up at 2530'ish with both powders. Accuracy is good enough, I'm getting .75" routinely. The load is good for gas gun matches, but for coyote the 108 is a bit too destructive for my liking.

I had a savage switchback and it was a shooter. Bullets that worked well were 107SMKs, 112 match burners, but 108 Berger VLDs in Starline 6ARC brass were what I competed with. 27.1gr Varget and Fed 205 primers. I also used a EC Tuner brake. The local matches I shot with it had weird requirements on cartridge length. All rounds shot had to fit inside the match director's old metal AR15 magazine..,so I shot them at 2.262" just to be sure I wouldn't get DQ'd.
1707275645793.jpg

My 6arc gas gun has been a bit disappointing. Running a JP high pressure bolt and a proof barrel. I'm running a 20" proof barrel. With Varget and vv540 and the 108, as soon as I got close to 2600, I was getting pressure and over 2600 I blew or pierced primers. I ended up at 2530'ish with both powders. Accuracy is good enough, I'm getting .75" routinely. The load is good for gas gun matches, but for coyote the 108 is a bit too destructive for my liking.
I dropped down to 75 grain slugs for Coyotes running in the neighborhood of 2930 ft./s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks everyone, this will give me a great many things to try. And the good thing is a have all but one of the powders and the same on the bullets. I got started with a ladder tests today with some TAC with 105gr Berger & 103 Hornady. It showed some promise, giving me a .890 & .850 but I know it will do better. Tomorrow I'll do the same test with a couple of powders & bullets that was suggested until i get all tested. I will update the post with the results.
Thanks again

I dropped down to 75 grain slugs for Coyotes running in the neighborhood of 2930 ft./s
I built a 24" gasser with a Sanders armory barrel and bear creek side charge upper. I could get ithe 108VLD up to 26.1 gr Varget without leaning on it too hard and reached 2561fps Avg. unfortunately it would group about an MOA one day and suck the next.
I too dropped down to the 75gr VMax, over 28.6 gr H4895 with 3150 fps @1moa. Which is a deadly varmint load. I also worked up a vmax load with 28.1 gr of Benchmark and a rem 7 1/2 primer that reached 3165fps. It was very similar to the 4895 load. Close enough to make it hard to pick the winner. after shooting 5 5-shot groups the benchmark load was only slightly larger. The SD and ES was a little better with 4895 so I stuck with it.

I didn't see any gain going from an 18" to a 20" barrel on my gas gun. Speeds were almost identical
Since my primary purpose of the rifle was 300 yard Egg Shoot Competition I went with the heavy/longer Hart Varmint barrel, which provided the shooting stability to capture a wind condition, and accurately place 5 shots on 5 eggs in under 10 seconds. A couple of MPH wind shift can easily blow that bullet off a 1.5"(.5MOA) wide egg at 300 yards. The balance of speed and accuracy of this cartridge in a heavy barreled gas gun proved deadly for this competition. I would surely go with a shorter/lighter set-up for a handier carry/hunting rifle.