Hornady 6mm ARC

quigley257

Greetings all. I have an AR 6mm ARC build in process at the moment. I have a question for those who have reloaded for this cartridge. I will be using once fired Hornady brass to get going. The brass that I got appears to have a slight crimp ring around the primer pocket. It's not nearly as pronounced as the crimp ring on Hornady 224 Valkyrie brass. Have you needed to swage or ream your 6ARC primer pockets for easy priming or not? I ended up swaging all my Valkyrie brass...

20220512_175312.jpg

20220512_175255.jpg

From all of the military (lc headstamp) brass crimped I've never swedged any or 556 brass either. They could've just been sealed instead?

I've loaded probably 500 hornady cases for my 6arc, and I haven't had any issues with that.

I finally received my 6 ARC dies. I resized all the brass that I have and got them all trimmed, cleaned and ready to load. The ring that is seen in the pictures seems to be cosmetic in nature as the cases were easy to prime with no indication of a crimp on them. Very unlike the 224 Valkyrie brass which required swaging to get the primers to seat without crushing.

I'm referring to the circular primer crimping ring that Hornady uses on their AR rifle cases.
I know, I posted earlier about the primers. The bigger issue you will run into is the belted ring that seems to form in the brass. Some of my Hornady brass got it but rarely. All of my lapua brass did, and also my starline. Seems it's a very common issue.

I know, I posted earlier about the primers. The bigger issue you will run into is the belted ring that seems to form in the brass. Some of my Hornady brass got it but rarely. All of my lapua brass did, and also my starline. Seems it's a very common issue.
Was the ring causing chambering issues? Did you mic the ring to see what size it was? Bolt gun or auto and what brand dies were you using? I'm running a EABCO accuracy barrel in my AR.

Was the ring causing chambering issues? Did you mic the ring to see what size it was? Bolt gun or auto and what brand dies were you using? I'm running a EABCO accuracy barrel in my AR.
I have a proof research barrel. I heard that it's because of the design lapua case vs the Hornady case. If you look at a video on YouTube from Johnnys reloading bench he had the same issues. Renders the cases useless.