6mm x ,284 WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Bounty Hunters he's burning 55grs of powder ,you think that will promote extended barrel life ?

Regardless of the powder charge YES I believe that if the pressure is reduced the barrel ware will be less. Its not the amount of powder being burned alone that erodes barrels its powder volume at high pressure. The higher the pressure the faster the erosion.
With a big case you have options. You can load to increased ballistic performance over smaller cases which causes accelerated barrel ware or you can load to equal velocity of a smaller case at a lower pressure which enhances barrel life.
So my answer to your question is yes absolutely.

As for velocity I settled on the listed load when accuracy tightened up and down range groups were good for varminting. Zeroed at 100yards it will print 2.5" high at 200yards then at 300yards zero again. That is good crow medicine. I build on a M98 Mauser action for nostalgic reasons and could have built on a modern action if I wanted to.

I had the 66grain bullets made by a custom shop in Indiana. All hand made match bullets that had the tip opened up for better varmint expansion, the gentleman who made them is now retired.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts