6-284 vs. 243 Catbird

sealgair

Interested to see what you guys think of the above, thinking of building a fast varmint rifle on a R700 long action I have. Would be looking at probably a 24" barrel and a suppressor. This will be used for mainly for red fox and crows so I'm thinking 60-75g bullets. It'll be a working rifle that I carry on foot and on the ATV so I wouldn't want to go beyond a 26" tube at most.

Thanks,

Sam

Coldfinger

LRH Team Member
Not selling the hides are you? Red fox and fast bullets, well you can shoot crows off the parts!!

woodnut

Just my 2 cents, but in 6 mm, hard to go wrong with the 6 Creedmoor. Mine are twisted 71/2 and 8 for the 105 and up bullets, but barrels can be had with 10 and 12 twists if all you want is lite and fast bullets. It's a fine shaped case and brass is easy to find, as well as factory ammo.

Wedgy

I would do a Sherman Short or SST, it can push a 115 grain close to 3,400fps, The SS version even a bit faster
file:///C:/Users/chris/Downloads/Sherman%20Load%20Data.pdf

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.