6mm project

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Need a little help in deciding on which 6mm. I thought I had a SA remington action lined up, but that fell through.....so, now I have this 27.5" Lilja 3 groove 1-8 twist barrel sitting here. I also have a SA Remington HS stock, but can probably sell it no problem. I was intending on building a 243AI, but now I am between the 243AI and the 6-284. I would use a long action for the 6-284. I was planning on using the heavy 95-105 vld style bullets. Who is getting what for velocity on the above? I am going to test my Dad's 243AI with the 105's and see what it shoots. I talked with Kirby, and he thought 3400fps would be the max in the barrel that I have. Need some suggestions or thoughts one way or another to consider.

TMR, go with the 6x284. The 243, 243AI, 6MM and 6MM AI dont even can compare to the 6x284 in the velocity department. The 6x284 with a 28" barrel will shoot the 105's and 107's at 3400 fps. It will also drive the 87grn V-Max at around 3700 to 3800 fps. I was in the same dilema about 6 months ago when trying to figure out what kind of 6mm I wanted. I went with 6x284. Good Luck

Wildcat

It it was me. I would go with the 243 ackley. With a barrel shorter than 28 inches it going to be hard to use all the powder the 6-284 has to offer. For target use my vote would be 243 ackley. Both can be very accurate. The choice is yours. Both have a good case design and laupa brass, speed, and B.C. Good luck and have fun

Even though they weren't on your list, I'd say go w/the 6 BR, 6 BR improved or 6-250. Much longer bbl life and still great 1000 yd accuracy.

I recently built a 243AI for my self and that is the round that i would go with in your situation. I am getting 3250 fps with the 115 dtac moly with no pressure signs and excellent accuracy. I am using a 30" Broughten 5c 8 twist.
Short action, easy to get good brass (Lapua, winchester, remington etc.) Can fire form factory ammo in a pinch. I was getting better than .5 moa while fire forming brass. I looked at all the hot 6mm wildcats when i built this rifle and this is the one that made sence. Its even better in the real world.

Thanks guys,

I forgot to mention that this will be my long range chuck and coyote rifle.

BJ, I thought about the 6br or the improved version, but it just seemed to lack the punch at longer range. I don't know much about the 6-250.

TMR,
just a few things to consider. if you go with a 6-284 you limit your bullet choices because of the 3 groove barrel,you can shoot the 107grSMK or the 115dtac any J4 jacket bullet like Bergers will blow up in flight and buttercopper bullets like the 105 AMax vaporize before they leave the muzzle.
If you go with a 243AI you can probably get away with any bullet you choose.
Dont under estimate a 6BR Improved I have witnessed many a chuck get whacked past 1000yds with one using 95gr Bergers.
hope this helps UB

Anyone care to guess velocity with my 28" barrel and 95gr bullets in the 243AI?

UncleB,
I was kinda thinking along those same lines.....in order to build a 6-284 correctly, a guy would use a 30" 6 groove barrel and a long action. The 3 groove is going to limit me to a couple of bullets. I would hate to be limited until the 3 groove wore out. (not that the SMK or the Dtac are bad)

My 10 twist 3 groove 243AI 28", is shooting 85grain bullets at an honest 3600fps. 68 grain bergers at 3700. I would think 95 grainers would run around the low 3500's.

[image]
74c33f19.jpg
[/image]

TMR I have enjoyed my 243AI immensely. 3050 fps with 107 smk over 41.6 grs H 4350 out of a 26" Schneider bbl . More velocity can be had but the cost is bbl life , besides with this kinda accuracy why go faster ?

Jim B.

When I see some of the numbers quoted above I can only conclude that there are lots of guys around here that have a different definition of what constitutes a maximum load to my own . 3300 FPS is about maximum in my 26 inch barrel with 9 inch twist using the 95 Berger VLD and Reloder 22 . Add perhaps 100 FPS for 28 inch .
By my definition if you have difficulty rechambering fired cases then the load is too hot .
.243 AI is only worth about 100 FPS over a standard .243 in my experience .

[ QUOTE ]
BJ, I thought about the 6br or the improved version, but it just seemed to lack the punch at longer range. I don't know much about the 6-250.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just about the same as the BR improved. I'm getting 3000 fps w/the 105 gr Berger in a 27" bbl. That extra speed and powder of the .243 AI and 6-284 get you more bbl heat and wear. The smaller 6mms give you adequate 1000 yd performance and they are much more enjoyable to shoot and you can shoot them more. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have always been a fan of big, heavy hitting guns but I am eagerly anticapating the arrival of my Cooper 6br. Any gun that gives you 1k+ preformance on 30gr of powder is a winner in my book. At that range the only thing you will be shooting is little varmints and paper so how much energy do you need?????

I am probably gonna shoot the 105 amax to compensate for the long range power loss.

take it easy
steve

Bushcock, Nosler Manual #5, 243 win. 95gr bullet, Rel 22 42.5 gr max at 3020fps with a
24" barrel.

Your 300fps over, by your way of thinking you must be on the ragged edge, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif 100fps over your self impossed limit. (100fps for AI + 100 fps for 2" of barrel)

Same manual; 85gr bullet AA3100 46 gr max at 3308fps with a
24" barrel.

I'm also 300fps over with my AI (100fps for AI + 200 fps for my extra 4" of barrel) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Looks like you better reduce that load.

My 68 grain bergers that are running 3700 fps are milder than you load.

Nosler Manual #4; 3 listed powders in a standard 243 win, 70 gr bullet, break 3600fps in there 24" test barrel. My AI is only topping that by 100 fps even with my extra 4" of barrel.

I better juice that one up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've got 5 reloads on the same brass, neck sized only, and they chamber just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some barrels are faster than others, may-be you have a slow one.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.