6mm-06 project, any tips?

270yotekiller

Hey guys im new to these forums and well i am interested in turning my old Remington 721 .270 into a long range rifle, i have chosen a 27.5" Pac-nor barrel in 6mm-06 with a 1-8" twist rate, any tips on barrel break-in for this rifle?

6.5-06 ehh? Does that have better long range capabilities or better choice of VLD/ULD bullets? You just might sway my choice to a 6.5 caliber instead, would you say its a better candidate for resizing from 270 brass as i carry alot of that brass from previous 270 rifles.

the 6.5 will give you better case life and better long range effects over the 6mm due to the better targets out their.
Resizing from the 270 brass would be a realy easy deal one step , better yet would be to get some 30-06 Lapua brass and use that , its great quality and super strong.
You can use 95gr V-amxes our 107gr SMK's is you want the out most velocity or use the 140gr class bullets for shooting out past 1000yds.

270yotekiller,

IF your going to go with a wildcat and if your looking at the 6.5-06 I would recommend you take a hard look at the 6.5-06 Ack Imp. This round has never failed to impress me with performance and accuracy for the size of the round. Loading is extremely easy as well.

The easiest thing to do is buy 25-06 brass. load a medium upper end load for the 6.5-06 in the standard 25-06 case which has had its case mouth deburred and simply seat a boat tailed 6.5mm bullet into the standard 25-06 case. IF you use a Ballistic Tip this works EXTREMELY well and you will not even be able to tell the case is 0.007" to small in diameter as the solid base boat tail will do the neck expanding for you as it is seated.

Simply shoot this round and out come sexy looking 6.5-06 AI cases. This is a substantial increase over the performance of the standard 6.5-06 and will at times give the 264 Win Mag a run for its money in barrels under 26".

313168.jpg

This target was shot using the old 155 gr Sierra MK.

Every rifle I have chambered for the 6.5-06 AI has performed like this. IT is a very accurate round, cases last forever if you do not run your pressures to high as the sharp shoulder greatly limits case stretching.

Just another idea to look at. For the most out of the 6.5mm family or cartridges based on the '06 class of case capacity, the 6.5-06 AI is very hard to beat.

The 270 Win cases can easily be used to form this wildcat, just be sure to trim them to length as the 270 is longer in case length then this wildcat. Not a big chore though.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Break in your barrel according to Lilja instructions, don't hurry to discard your 6/06 it is a great round.I have the 6/06A.I. and it is outstanding on white tail deer, shoots like a laser.Before I shoot a new barrel I run ooo steel wool in a slotted tip at least 100 times through the bore, really helps in shoot in.The 6.5 may be wonderful but the 6/06 is nothing to snub.

I realy like the fact the the AI rounds improve case life and the inherent accuracy of the rounds with careful load development. Does the 6mm-06 have a reduced barrel life expectancy as the 6.5 due to faster velocities? I really dont shoot all that much annually, maybe 500 rounds during the summer/autumn months and about 80-100 in the winter. What can i do besides careful cleaning regiment and not allowing the barrel to get hot to extend the life of my barrel?

The last step of cleaning I do involves kroil which is a plus to barrel life i believe.High performance and overbore cartridges have a price that is shorter life.Don't over heat and clean well and you will get many rounds out of your rifle.

The 6.5-06 standard or Ai version is going to have better barrel life than the 6mm-06 standard or Ai simply due to the 6.5 has a better bore to case capacity ration which basicaly meens its not as "overbore" as the 6mm.
In either case you should be able to get 1500 rounds thought it before the accuracy starts to go south to bad thats if you don't get the pressures crazy and the barrel hot enough to cook on.

With the 6mm-06 with a 26-28" barrel with a 1-8 twist you would be able to shoot the 100gr class target style bullets which would get you to 1000yds pretty easly ,balisticaly speeking. The 6.5 will shoot the 107gr Sierra Match king a good bit faster than the 107gr SMK in the 6mm and that light bullet has a pretty high BC for what it is and you shouls be able to get pretty close to 3000fps with the 140gr class bullets depending on you bullets and the 140's have a BC that alot higher than the 6mm's so its not gonna have as much trouble in the wind.

But if as far as your gonna be shooting is 500yds then I would personaly go with my new favorite the 243Ai , you'll get longer barrel life and if your shooting a 75gr class varmint bullet then it'll be super flat out to 500yds or the 55gr pills at well over 4000fps. and to top it all off my 243Ai will shoot off the shelf 243 ammo into the 3/4" range and after say 200 rounds you throat gets worn then you can simple have it rechambered to 6mm-06 Ai then shoot that ill its gone and at the end you can post your data on both rounds out of the same barrel and see what you liked better.
their just somethin else to think about

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.