6mm prc/6sst ???

mort9687

I'm trying to build a fast 6mm for shooting coyotes and maybe the occasional deer. I'm looking at either making a 6mm prc or 6 sherman short tactical. Does anyone have experience with either of these rounds? I know they are both going to be barrel eatin sob's but i'd like 3400 out of a 26" tube with the 105gr+ bullets.

I'm trying to build a fast 6mm for shooting coyotes and maybe the occasional deer. I'm looking at either making a 6mm prc or 6 sherman short tactical. Does anyone have experience with either of these rounds? I know they are both going to be barrel eatin sob's but i'd like 3400 out of a 26" tube with the 105gr+ bullets.
The SST will run at 3400' with lower pressure than the PRC with a 105 and also has a longer neck both of which will help barrel life. It will also run in a shorter magazine with the bullet positioned properly in the case neck. Im not sure the PRC will even make 3400 with a 110-115.

I have a 6 PRC that I just bought from Allf (a member here as well as the fire) and he was getting 3586 FPS with 105's.
I have not screwed it on an action as of yet but I am thinking a 95 gr Barnes should hit 3700 and be heck on deer.
Brass and dies are cheap so I figure it is a win win.
Here is a link to the build that he did. I bought the barrel and brass from him.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13844226/shazam#Post13844226

Shoot the dang sheep instead as they browse the grass into the roots. Give life to the Wiley Coyotes of the world! My rule is, if you shoot it eat it. If not then don't kill it.

Removing a few coyotes does all the animals in the area a favor, including other coyotes. I'm not sure what your life experiences are but I know your not a rancher. If you are a hunter then you should know how cruel and cold a natural death can be for an animal. Getting shot by a hunter is one of the most human deaths for a wild animal. You need to talk to someone who had their dog, cat, sheep or goats killed by coyotes.

There is a very good reason why every state that I'm aware of has a year round season and no bag limits on coyotes. I've shot a lot of coyotes and have a lot of respect for coyotes and their ability to thrive in almost any environment.

Dude...do you know you're on a hunting site? Are you just a troll?
Dude, funny you should ask. I just got home after taking a cow elk to the butcher this PM. My rule is to shoot what I eat and eat what I shoot. Don't think I'm not interested in the back strap of a coyote. We did see a couple of them today.

I have a 6mm Creed. that does everything it should and then some ... I've been thinking about a .204 Ruger for some Supersonic 4,500+ fps loads tho ...

Too many stories of killing for what? We are a violent people to each other and nature as welll.

I agree with you that humans can be violent to each other and nature. We are part of nature so I think a human killing a coyote is no worse than a wolf or mountain lion killing a coyote. Predators need to be managed just like the deer and elk need managed. Wolves, bears, mountain lions, coyotes and other predators need to be managed because man has changed the natural habitat. I think it would be better if all eastern coyotes were eliminated(not a natural predator back East) and 80% of the western coyotes were eliminated every 2-3 years. Coyotes are an amazing animal and I have great respect for them but they need managed.

I have no problem with you deciding not to shoot coyotes. I do have a problem with people that don't think predators should be managed.

Since you are an elk hunter, do you think we should allow for wolf populations to self regulate? If we decide to do that, I don't think there will be much cow elk meat in your future.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.