6mm bullets for hunting

DustThroughaFan

What's everybody's favorite 6mm hunting bullet? Or should I say, favorite 6mm bullet that they hunt with ?
I don't care if they're "hunting" bullets or match bullets, how do they kill, that's what interest me.

So what's everybody shooting, what are you shooting with it, and what are you shooting it out of ? And how have the results been on game ?

I'm just getting into the 6mm flavor myself. I've got a 700vls in 243win, factory tube that was AI'd and I recently put it back together and started shooting it. I've had the gun probably 12 years and never really messed with it. It was in pieces until just a few months ago.

Fireforming 85gr bthp Sierra gamekings @3300ish it's shooting ½" and it's pretty fun. I've shot out one 22-250 but this is my first 243.

I'm also giving some serious consideration to building a 6arc.
20230203_155252.jpg

I recently loaded up a ton of ammo for my told savage 99 .243, when the kids ar older and if they're interested that's what their first centerfire will be.

The main load is the long discontinued 75 grain Barnes x bullet (not tsx, no grooves). I've treated them with hex boron nitride and it really does mitigate fouling issues and improves es numbers.

While a snowbank isn't really a proxy for anything terminal ballistic wise, I must say look at this gnarly little flower. Furthest to the right is this bullet pulled out of a snowbank haha.

When I came back from shooting and told my wife I got her flowers before showing her some expanded Barnes she was not amused….

Attachments

• 5206FF2B-4AA9-4253-A871-C673955E92EF.jpeg
    5206FF2B-4AA9-4253-A871-C673955E92EF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Also screw the arc build a br. 😂
It'll be a gas gun build. Otherwise, I'd probably do a bra. Or maybe a dasher.

Current tube on the 243 is some weirdo 9⅛ twist so I'm limited to 95's or less. But after I smoke this barrel I'll put a faster twist tube on it. Don't know yet if I'll stay 243 (already invested in it) or go 6bra, or maybe 6creed.

I've got some 243ai cases formed now and I'm going to see just how fast a 55gr nosler ballistic tip will go. I was getting over 4k with the factory chamber, ai'd I'm hoping to get 4,100 or better. Ought to take care of the barrel pretty quick.

It'll be a gas gun build. Otherwise, I'd probably do a bra. Or maybe a dasher.

Current tube on the 243 is some weirdo 9⅛ twist so I'm limited to 95's or less. But after I smoke this barrel I'll put a faster twist tube on it. Don't know yet if I'll stay 243 (already invested in it) or go 6bra, or maybe 6creed.

I've got some 243ai cases formed now and I'm going to see just how fast a 55gr nosler ballistic tip will go. I was getting over 4k with the factory chamber, ai'd I'm hoping to get 4,100 or better. Ought to take care of the barrel pretty quick.
Ahh for a gas gun that makes sense!

I love the bra but if I was to start over I would probably just stay with BR. No need to fireform, although it's super simple with a correctly cut chamber it is still a pain when you run 500-1000 peices of brass. I also don't chase speed so there's that…

Breaking in my second BRa barrel right now. Just passed 200 rounds on it so went to do some testing today and it's showing promise. Went from 30-30.6gr of Varget jumping a 105 hybrid .060". Think I gotta play around 30.6 and a lil above a bit more.

My last barrel ran good around 29.8-30 gr and 2790-2800 fps.
FCC118F6-FB15-4609-9B90-F7B5EA6598D9.jpeg

Before I learned you have to have an 7.5 twist and shoot bullets over 105 grains I used to shoot alot of deer with 85 grain Sierra BTHP Gamekings and 85 grain Partitions. I also found out Partitions are not accurate enough, so since that was my favorite and I only have 10 twist 6mms, I just quit shooting the 243 and 240Bee all together.

I was faced with a similar situation and I stuck with the good old .243 Winchester. I have a 1-8 Lilja 3 groove on mine and it's a hammer. I used a 0.119FB reamer and it works great with 105-108s
What are we looking at for barrel life? I shoot a lot and this is a concern for me.

I'm at around 2400 rounds on my first BRa barrel and it's still shooting w/o any speed loss yet but don't know how much longer she'll last.

Before I learned you have to have an 7.5 twist and shoot bullets over 105 grains I used to shoot alot of deer with 85 grain Sierra BTHP Gamekings and 85 grain Partitions. I also found out Partitions are not accurate enough, so since that was my favorite and I only have 10 twist 6mms, I just quit shooting the 243 and 240Bee all together.
How was the game King on deer ? I've only shot crows and a coyote with them so far. The yote was about 150ish in a dead run and I hit her a little far back. Looked like she swallowed a grenade.