6mm 87gr v-max stopped by 500ml plastic bottle

Gerald89

I was having a test session today and decided to set a plastic bottle full of water out next to my targets.
It was 500ml so it made a 62mm thick by 62mm wide target.
The distance was 430mtrs.
The 87gr left the barrel at 3200fps.
I think then energy at target would be 886Ft/Lbs and 2141fps.

The resulting hit was very explosive with the bottle being propelled back about a metre.

Later on when I finished my testing I picked the bottle up to find a completely empty copper jacket and pieces of lead like ragged six shot size rattling about in the bottom.

The damage to one side looked like a good bursting exit with lots of peppering from the small lead particles.

Turn to the opposite side and or any other side and they are unscratched.

How can this be?

The bullet exploded and came back out the same way?

100% of energy must have transferred to the target but penetration must have been nil?

Ive had simular results from 55gr ballistic tips. I tested for a while in a container that I built to hold a series of gallon ziploc bags filled with water. At 200yds a 22lr standard velocity would out penitrate the 55gr ballistic tips.

I once saw Bill Bailey shoot a 20lb bobcat at 30yds with a 55gr Ballitic Tip from a 243win at 4200fps. Bullet entered on the onside shoulder blade and the cat did a cartwheel.

When we picked up the cat his onside arm was literally a jello sock and there was no exit wound. Just before he pulled the trigger I told him not to expect a pelt when this was done with. I would have expected a 17hmr to do more exterior damage to the cat than what the 243 did.

take it easy
steve

Its almost like the 75g mvax at 3800fps out of my 25-06. I shot more then a few yotes with this combo and I got no exits. I was kinda mad because I was expecting them to be about blown in half. I never did to much extensive penetration testing, but I found the same results. The bullet probly penetrates maybe couple inches and just acts like a grenade. The insides are jello and instant kills are achieved with minimal pelt damage. Now the 85g btip at 3700fps is a different story. I think there comes a place where velocity and bullet weight play a big role in exits. You kinda gotta go the middle of the road. Just my opinon.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.