.243 Win 87gr. V-max ?

Dilbur

I am doing some load testing on a model 12 savage and found 1 load so far that works well, but when I checked it with a crono I was surprised at the velosity I was getting (3450fps) and was wonder if this seems to fast for good barrel life or should I slow things down alittle. I am using 46gr. of IMR4831 powder and CCI BR2 primers this load is not a max load (Loading manual says 48.5gr. Max)

Dilber, your load is the same as mine and I was getting 3225 fps average out of a 26" bbl. Your rifle is creating more pressure than mine - 3400 fps is fast. If you're going to shoot this rifle a lot, you may want to back it off a bit (safer as well). You may want to relocate your question to the reloading section, you'll get more feed back.

TAC

Dilber...

You may not be having more pressure.... you probably aren't.

I ran a test with a bunch of 308 rifles some years back, and 100 rounds of Federal Gold Match, all the same lot number.

The velocities ran from 2545 to 2715... all with the same load - and the longest (27.5") and the shortest (24") gave the highest velocities... the 26" barrels gave the slowest velocities.

If you have no pressure signs, don't worry.

My 6MM Remington pushed that bullet at 3300 fps using 43 grain of IMR 4350. My barrel is 10 twist Shilen Matchgrade and 28" long. I could probably push it a tad more, but I found my accuracy load at this velocity, so I left it at that. Approach your load with caution and pay attention for signs of higher pressure.

Well I am kind of new to this hand loading thing. Did not get started until 1964 but in 45 years I am convinced that accuracy is the key. I more or less discovered the 87 Vmax last spring while testing some loads in my 243 Shillen barreled 700.

Last spring I was determined to make some 65 Genter H.P shoot for my upcoming trip to Wyoming. I had gotten them Cheap, and was determined to use them. I did but after returning home I reviewed my testing and saw the 87 Vmax target. Since they still seem to be available, I started buying them and loading for this years hunt. After a new Rifle Basix trigger I am shooting 1 1/4" @ 400 yards.

All I am waiting for now is June 1st. Look out Wyoming.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.