6mm-284vs 6mmAI

Gents, I have to offer an apology. I completely forgot about my promise to check my notes for the bushing sizes I use. Hopefully I can remember to get that done in a few hours for you.

My bad,

t

Well I finally remembered this morning.

Two step process for me:

Bushing one: .282

Final size: .272

With a case neck thickness of .016, this should give you ~.003 tension.

t

Necking down the 6.5X55 Swede with a 243 Win FL die and fireforming in the 243 Coyote Killer chamber basically recreates the 6mm-284 and 6mm-06 case capacities

nothing too extravagant really, just have a bunch of Swede brass on hand and a Tikka T3 to mess up and it didn't seem practical to run a 6mm-300 Norma Mag

I've also dummied up a 338 Lapua case cut down to 243 WSSM length at 1.670" and case capacities are spot on as all three mentioned above,
just wondering if the bolt face on my Win 70 in 223 WSSM can be opened up to .590" safely ?

243 LSSM ? or in Euro, 6mm LSSM ? (Lapua Super Short Mag)

while the 243 LSSM is just a crazy idea at this point .....

the 243 Coyote Killer is on it's way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 55
Well I finally remembered this morning.

Two step process for me:

Bushing one: .282

Final size: .272

With a case neck thickness of .016, this should give you ~.003 tension.

t

Thank you for looking that up. Now I have to just buy the bushings and I should be golden!!!! Again thank you!!!!

Mario

Thank you for looking that up. Now I have to just buy the bushings and I should be golden!!!! Again thank you!!!!

Mario

No problem, I would recommend the Titanium Nitride bushings, they are a little more cash at ~$26ea but well worth it IMHO.

t

You'll love the 6x284 as was mentioned the only negative is it's harder on barrels. I'Ve also switched to the 6 AI only because seems to be a little more life, I'm on my second AI . Let us know how it shoots when you get her together.

You'll love the 6x284 as was mentioned the only negative is it's harder on barrels. I'Ve also switched to the 6 AI only because seems to be a little more life, I'm on my second AI . Let us know how it shoots when you get her together.

I have to find a smith to true the action up. The barrel is already threaded for a 700 and I have that. I need a trigger and I was looking at that today, it doesn't seem too easy to put in so I may have someone do that too.
I have the stock so I'm pretty much set. Might do a DBM so I have to buy that. Otherwise, pretty much ready to go.

I have to find a smith to true the action up. The barrel is already threaded for a 700 and I have that. I need a trigger and I was looking at that today, it doesn't seem too easy to put in so I may have someone do that too.
I have the stock so I'm pretty much set. Might do a DBM so I have to buy that. Otherwise, pretty much ready to go.
I would think you've probably got some good smiths right in the local area just because Nevada really caters to shooting sportsmen so much.

You've got a couple of long ranges around there I'd start by contacting them and see who they recommend.

It would probably be easier on you to do that rather than wait until after the move.

As long as you have the correct tools, triggers are actually very easy to install. But, having one thrown on while your rig is being rebarreled is going to be even easier :D

I wanted to add a bit of lore is response to your DBM statement. I've been told that the 6x284 can be a bit on the finicky side when it comes to running a repeater. According to Kirby, the H-S DBM (LA) is one of the better setups to run. I got lucky & had already installed that setup on my 700 before reading that recommendation. In the H-S setup, it doesn't run like "butter" but it hasn't failed me either. Just something to think about.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.